Time travel into future possible

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of cryogenics and whether it can be considered a form of time travel. The argument is made that cryogenics only preserves a person's consciousness and does not actually allow them to travel through time. The conversation also touches on the idea of time passing and how it can be perceived differently when one is undergoing surgery or cryogenically frozen. The conversation ends with a humorous remark about the potential of frozen peas.
bozo the clown
If I say die at 45 have have myself frozen and in 500 years time they unthaw me medicine is advanced they can bring me back to life with my memory just as how I knew it before I passed away than from my point of view id have trvelled in time to 500 years into future right ? no diff from a time machine as all I know is being in 21st century then 26th century with no conception of time passing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose the same could be argued everytime you go to sleep.

check said:
I suppose the same could be argued everytime you go to sleep.

Why sleep, just go about your normal day. But if you really want to travel into the future, just get on a plane and fly coast to coast, you'll pick up a few seconds if you do it every day for a few years.

When I was "put under" for surgery that lasted a couple hours and then woke, the last thoughts I remember were the last thoughts I had before the anesthesia took full effect.

the only problem with above is you may have perceived a jump in time but your body has still aged with cryogenics it doesnt

bozo the clown said:
If I say die at 45 have have myself frozen and in 500 years time they unthaw me medicine is advanced they can bring me back to life with my memory just as how I knew it before I passed away than from my point of view id have trvelled in time to 500 years into future right ? no diff from a time machine as all I know is being in 21st century then 26th century with no conception of time passing.

isn't that what's happened with walt disney? or is that an urban myth?

surely if the freezing process is done well, you don't have to be dead when they freeze you and therefore they can unfreeze you in 500 years and they won't need advances in medicine to help you.

true you do not have to be dead but id rarther have it done when i passed away

This is way different form my concept of a "time machine" in a "real" time machine I would be able to travel BACK to where I started. We are all riding the roller coaster we call time into the future, that is not time travel, it is inevitable.

Let me try to say what Integral said (no offense Int.) in my own words:

That is not time travel at all. The same time passes - it is simply preservation.

If only the bag of peas in my freezer could talk, or negotiate a book deal with a publisher...

1. Is time travel into the future possible?

There are currently no proven methods for humans to travel through time. However, some theories suggest that it may be possible through concepts like wormholes and time dilation.

2. Can we travel to a specific time in the future?

The concept of traveling to a specific date in the future is still largely theoretical. While it may be possible to manipulate time in small increments, traveling to a specific time in the future is currently not feasible.

3. How far into the future can we travel?

Theoretically, there is no limit to how far into the future one could travel. However, the practicality and feasibility of traveling long distances in time is still unknown and highly debated.

4. What are the potential consequences of time travel into the future?

One of the major consequences of time travel into the future is the potential for creating paradoxes. For example, going back in time and changing something that would affect your own existence in the future. Other potential consequences could include disrupting the natural flow of time and causing unpredictable consequences.

5. Are there any current experiments or research being done on time travel into the future?

While there are numerous theories and discussions about time travel into the future, there is currently no concrete evidence or ongoing experiments that definitively prove its possibility. However, scientists continue to explore and research the concept through various fields such as physics, cosmology, and quantum mechanics.