Looking for a few good proofs

• Thread starter Matt Jacques
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding and proof of product, quotient, and chain rules in calculus. The speaker expresses frustration with not having a deeper understanding despite using these rules in their work. They also mention that the book they are using provides rigorous proofs but may omit steps. The conversation ends with a suggestion to prove the chain rule and a reminder to not be too strict when manipulating quantities.
Matt Jacques
I understand how to use such things as product rules, quotient rules, parts by integration, but it bothers me I don't really have a deeper understanding of it.

My book offers rather rigorous proofs, they are all pretty much: assume this to be this and let this be that so it must equal this. Hmm. Ya.

Does anyone know of any good sites that proves them in understandable and no omitted steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I don't understand. How can your book simultaneously be too rigorous, yet omit steps? It may perhaps omit obvious calculations - it is up to you to put them back in if you can't see them.If you want motivation as to why the product rule is true, is this either too rigorous, or omitting too many steps?

f is diffible at x if

f(x+h) = f(x) +hf'(x) +h*o_1(h)

where o(h) is something that tends ot zero as h tends to zero. f' is defined to be the derivativethen
f(x+h)g(x+h)=(f(x)+hf'(x)+h*o_1(h))(g(x)+hg'(x)+h*o_2(h))

multiply out:f(x)g(x)+ h(f(x)g'(x)+f'(x)g(x)+ h*o_3(x))

where o_3(x) = hg'(x)f'(x)+hf'(x)o_2(x)+hg'(x)o_1(x)+ho_1(x)o_2(x)+f(x)o_2(x)+g(x)o_1(x)

which is a function that tends to zero as h tends to zero.

Hence the derivative of f(x)g(x) is f'(x)g(x)+f(x)g'(x)similar analysis allows you to prove the chain rule (messy) and the quotient rule, which actually just follows from the previous two. You should prove the chain rule - a liberal disrespect for the quantities you manipulate is to be encouraged.

Last edited:

I completely understand your frustration with not fully understanding the proofs for various mathematical concepts. While it may seem like a daunting task, having a deeper understanding of these proofs can greatly enhance your overall understanding and application of these rules in problem-solving.

One suggestion I have is to seek out additional resources beyond your textbook. There are many online resources, such as Khan Academy and Mathisfun, that offer step-by-step explanations and visual aids for understanding proofs. You can also try searching for specific topics on YouTube, as there are many helpful videos created by math enthusiasts and educators.

Additionally, you may want to consider reaching out to your professor or a tutor for additional support. They can offer personalized explanations and help clarify any confusion you may have about the proofs.

Lastly, don't be afraid to break down the proofs and try to understand each step on its own. It may also be helpful to work through examples and practice problems to solidify your understanding.

Remember, understanding the proofs is just as important as knowing how to use the rules. Keep seeking out resources and don't give up, and you will eventually have a deeper understanding of these fundamental concepts in mathematics.

What is the purpose of "Looking for a few good proofs"?

The purpose of "Looking for a few good proofs" is to gather evidence and data to support a scientific hypothesis or theory. It involves conducting experiments, making observations, and analyzing results to draw conclusions.

What types of proofs are typically used in scientific research?

The types of proofs commonly used in scientific research include empirical evidence, logical arguments, mathematical equations, and statistical data. These proofs are used to support or refute a hypothesis and provide a basis for scientific understanding.

How do scientists ensure the validity of their proofs?

Scientists use various methods to ensure the validity of their proofs, such as carefully designing experiments, using control groups, replicating results, and peer reviewing their work. This helps to minimize biases and errors and increases the reliability of the proofs.

What is the difference between proof and evidence in scientific research?

Proofs are solid and irrefutable evidence that supports a scientific claim, while evidence is any information or data that can be used to support or refute a hypothesis. Proofs are typically based on multiple pieces of evidence and have been extensively tested and verified.

Why is it important to have multiple proofs to support a scientific claim?

Having multiple proofs to support a scientific claim increases the credibility and reliability of the claim. It also helps to account for any discrepancies or errors in individual proofs and strengthens the overall argument. Additionally, having multiple proofs can lead to new insights and discoveries in the scientific field.