Estimation example from Giancoli

In summary, the author tried to estimate the volume of a lake by using some rough measures and rounded-off numbers and got an approximate order-of-magnitude. He then found the volume by multiplying by the average depth, π, and rounding to 1 significant figure. Finally, he reminds the reader to square the radius before multiplying by the average depth.
EvD
Hello, I´m a bit math-challenged and just started to brush up on both physics and mathematics simultaneously but I'm still at absolute beginner status and I don't want to go on in the book as long as I can't even figure out such a simple example. I'm using the Giancoli textbook on physics for self-study but can't quite follow the simplest of examples in the first chapter. Since the problem lies in the mathematical part of my understanding and not the conceptually physical part I thought I'd post it here. Just wanted to check if I'm doing something wrong or whether there's a typo in the example because unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a list of errata for the book. Here it is:

1. Homework Statement

The example is about estimating the volume of a lake by using some rough measures and rounded-off numbers to get at the approximate order-of-magnitude.
So it says:

V=hπr2 ≈(10meters) × (3) ×(5×102meters)2≈8×106m3 ≈ 107 m3

where π has been rounded to 3, the average depth of the lake is 10m and the estimated radius of the surface is given by 5×102 (500 m).
I can't seem to follow how he arrives at 8 ×106.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

In my mind it would come to 3×(5×105) and then maybe 1.5×101 ×105 and then 1.5 ×106. This is of course different from the given 8×106.

I figure I'm probably making a mistake here in the rules of multiplication of exponents and bracketing out but I can't figure out what it is. Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the absolute rookie level of mathematical (in)competence.

Physics news on Phys.org
EvD said:
Hello, I´m a bit math-challenged and just started to brush up on both physics and mathematics simultaneously but I'm still at absolute beginner status and I don't want to go on in the book as long as I can't even figure out such a simple example. I'm using the Giancoli textbook on physics for self-study but can't quite follow the simplest of examples in the first chapter. Since the problem lies in the mathematical part of my understanding and not the conceptually physical part I thought I'd post it here. Just wanted to check if I'm doing something wrong or whether there's a typo in the example because unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a list of errata for the book. Here it is:

1. Homework Statement

The example is about estimating the volume of a lake by using some rough measures and rounded-off numbers to get at the approximate order-of-magnitude.
So it says:

V=hπr2 ≈(10meters) × (3) ×(5×102meters)2≈8×106m3 ≈ 107 m3

where π has been rounded to 3, the average depth of the lake is 10m and the estimated radius of the surface is given by 5×102 (500 m).
I can't seem to follow how he arrives at 8 ×106.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

In my mind it would come to 3×(5×105) and then maybe 1.5×101 ×105 and then 1.5 ×106. This is of course different from the given 8×106.

I figure I'm probably making a mistake here in the rules of multiplication of exponents and bracketing out but I can't figure out what it is. Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the absolute rookie level of mathematical (in)competence.

Don't forget to square the radius: (5×102)2 = 500 × 500 = 250,000

Multiply by the average depth: 250,000 × 10 = 2,500,000

Multiply by π (approx.): 2,500,000 × 3 = 7,500,000

Round final result to 1 significant figure: 7,500,000 ≈ 8,000,000 or 8×106 m3

Personally, I find writing some numbers in scientific notation tedious and confusing (for example, 5×102 for 500).

When you do square numbers written in scientific notation, remember to square the first part but double the exponent on the 10:

(5×102)2 = 25×104 = 2.5×105 = 250,000

Likes EvD
SteamKing said:
Don't forget to square the radius: (5×102)2 = 500 × 500 = 250,000

Multiply by the average depth: 250,000 × 10 = 2,500,000

Multiply by π (approx.): 2,500,000 × 3 = 7,500,000

Round final result to 1 significant figure: 7,500,000 ≈ 8,000,000 or 8×106 m3

Personally, I find writing some numbers in scientific notation tedious and confusing (for example, 5×102 for 500).

When you do square numbers written in scientific notation, remember to square the first part but double the exponent on the 10:

(5×102)2 = 25×104 = 2.5×105 = 250,000

Ah right of course. Thanks a million! That made a lot of sense and really helped me!

Related to Estimation example from Giancoli

1. What is the purpose of the estimation example from Giancoli?

The estimation example from Giancoli is used to demonstrate the process of making educated guesses or approximations in scientific calculations. This is an important skill for scientists to possess as it allows them to make predictions and draw conclusions based on limited information.

2. How does the estimation example from Giancoli relate to real-life situations?

The estimation example from Giancoli is a simplified version of how scientists use estimation in real-life situations. In many cases, scientists must make approximations in their calculations due to limited data or time constraints. This example helps to illustrate the importance and practicality of estimation in the field of science.

3. Can the estimation example from Giancoli be applied to any type of scientific problem?

Yes, the estimation example from Giancoli can be applied to various scientific problems, including those in physics, chemistry, and biology. The principles of estimation remain the same regardless of the specific field of science.

4. How can the estimation example from Giancoli be used to improve experimental design?

The estimation example from Giancoli can be used to improve experimental design by helping scientists determine the appropriate level of precision and accuracy needed in their measurements. By using estimation, scientists can also identify potential sources of error and make adjustments to their methods to improve the overall reliability of their results.

5. Are there any limitations to using the estimation example from Giancoli?

As with any approximation, the estimation example from Giancoli has its limitations. It is important for scientists to recognize when estimation is appropriate and when more precise measurements are necessary. Estimation should also be used in conjunction with other scientific methods and techniques to ensure the most accurate results.