Estimating the Number of Grains of Sand on Earth: A Fermi Approach

• Thread starter Negi Magi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fermi
In summary: I think I'll try that next.In summary, the author does not know how to answer the question and suggests using a book on order of magnitude estimation.
Negi Magi
1. How many sands on the earth?

2. Hints: Using the Fermi estimation

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you do so far? Where did you run into problems?
What is "sands"? Do you mean grains of sand?

mfb said:
What did you do so far? Where did you run into problems?
What is "sands"? Do you mean grains of sand?
Yes, I mean the "grains of sand"

I do not really understand your first two questions.

From the board rules:
NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.

This is not a board where others do your homework. We can help you if you run into problems, but it is your homework.

mfb said:
From the board rules:This is not a board where others do your homework. We can help you if you run into problems, but it is your homework.
Oh,yes. When I first saw this question, I have no idea about that. However, now I know that this question is a kind of Fermi questions, which need appropriate estimation.

But the problem is that I do not know how to start. There is another Fermi question, " How many Piano Tuners in New York? " , I can do that by using the estimation of the population of NY, the amount of pianos, the working time of Tuners, etc.

However, when I am asked for "How many grains of sand? ", I don't know what data should I use to estimate

One way to approach it is to think about what parameters, if changed, would radically change your answer. E.g. if all the sand grains were a million times smaller than they actually are, that would make a lot more of them. Would this alter any other information available to you? If not, having an estimate for average grain size will be essential.

I found this short book on order of magnitude estimation rather helpful

Link

Thank you very much, that's very helpful

Related to Estimating the Number of Grains of Sand on Earth: A Fermi Approach

1. What is a Fermi question?

A Fermi question is a type of problem-solving exercise that requires estimation and approximation rather than exact calculations. It is named after physicist Enrico Fermi, who was known for his ability to make accurate estimations with little to no data.

2. What makes a question a Fermi question?

A Fermi question typically involves a complex or abstract concept that is difficult to measure or quantify. It also requires breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and making reasonable assumptions to arrive at an estimate.

3. What is the purpose of solving Fermi questions?

The purpose of solving Fermi questions is to improve one's critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also helps develop the ability to think creatively and make informed decisions based on limited information.

4. Can anyone solve Fermi questions?

Yes, anyone can solve Fermi questions with practice and the right approach. It does not require any specific knowledge or expertise, making it accessible to people of all ages and backgrounds.

5. What are some common examples of Fermi questions?

Some common examples of Fermi questions include estimating the number of blades of grass in a soccer field, the weight of an elephant, or the amount of water in a swimming pool. They can also involve more abstract concepts such as estimating the number of stars in the universe or the number of grains of sand on a beach.