Estimating the final pressure of a transformation

In summary: So, I would say that the problem is defective.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving estimating the final pressure of an ideal gas in a transformation where the Helmholtz Free Energy remains constant. The conversation includes equations and attempts at a solution, leading to a final conclusion that the problem is flawed due to the assumption that the gas has a constant specific heat.
thaalescosta

Homework Statement

If the Helmholtz Free Energy remains constant, estimate the final pressure of 1.0mol of an ideal gas in the following transformation: (1.0atm, 300k) → (pfinal, 600k). Given Sgas = R.

Homework Equations

A = U - TS
dA = -SdT - pdV

The Attempt at a Solution

If the Helmholtz Free Energy is constant, then ΔA = 0.

So from dA = -SdT - pdV I'd get that S⋅ΔT = -pΔV.

But I don't see how that helps me figuring out the final pressure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they meant for you to assume that the initial value of S for the gas is R (S0=R). If this is the case then, in terms of pfinal and ##C_p## what is Sfinal? What is ##\Delta (TS)##? In terms of ##C_p##, what is ##\Delta U##? What is ##\Delta A##?

Is the gas mono-atomic?

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
I think they meant for you to assume that the initial value of S for the gas is R (S0=R). If this is the case then, in terms of pfinal and ##C_p## what is Sfinal? What is ##\Delta (TS)##? In terms of ##C_p##, what is ##\Delta U##? What is ##\Delta A##?

Is the gas mono-atomic?
It did not specify if the gas is mono-atomic nor did it give me the Cp or Cv values.

It only asks me to find the final pressure, which is 4 atm.

thaalescosta said:
It did not specify if the gas is mono-atomic nor did it give me the Cp or Cv values.

OK. Then please set up the equations as I suggested in post #2, and let's see where that takes us. I'm confident that this is the correct approach to use.

thaalescosta said:

My solution to this problem gives 4 atm. if Cp/R=2. This is the same as gamma = 2. It don't think that there are any gases with this ratio, however.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
My solution to this problem gives 4 atm. if Cp/R=2. This is the same as gamma = 2. It don't think that there are any gases with this ratio, however.

Chet
You're right.

My solution was making ΔA = 0 and then setting SdT = - pdV.

Since S = R:
- SdT = (1/V)*nRT⋅dV
- dT = (1/V)*nT⋅dV (and n = 1)
- dT/T = (1/V)dV
- ln(T2/T1) = ln(V2/V1)
- ln(2) = ln(V2/V1)
1/2 = V2/V1
V1 = 2V2

(P1⋅V1)/T1 = (P2⋅V2)/T2
(1 atm ⋅2V2)/300 = (P2 ⋅ V2)/600K
P2 = 4 atm

I didn't assume that R was constant throughout the change. I assumed that only the initial value of S was equal to R.

For the final entropy I got:
$$S_2=R+C_p\ln(T_2/T_1)-R\ln(P_2/P_1)$$
So, ##\Delta (TS)## was:
$$\Delta (TS)=R(T_2-T_1)+C_pT_2\ln(T_2/T_1)-RT_2\ln(P_2/P_1)$$
For the change in internal energy, I got:$$\Delta U=C_v(T2-T_1)=(C_p-R)(T2-T_1)=C_p(T2-T_1)-R(T2-T_1)$$
So, $$\Delta A=\Delta U-\Delta (TS)=(C_p-2R)(T2-T_1)+C_pT_2\ln(T_2/T_1)-RT_2\ln(P_2/P_1)$$
Setting ##\Delta A## equal to zero and solving for ##\ln(P_2/P_1)##, we get:
$$\ln(P_2/P_1)=\frac{C_p}{R}\ln(T_2/T_1)+\left(2-\frac{C_p}{R}\right)\left[1-\frac{T_1}{T_2}\right]$$
Only if ##\frac{C_p}{R}=2## does the second term on the right vanish, and do we obtain $$\frac{P_2}{P_1}=\left(\frac{T_2}{T_1}\right)^2=4$$
But, even for a mono-atomic gas, ##\frac{C_p}{R}>2##.
Our two analyses are consistent with one another only of ##\frac{C_p}{R}=2##. That's the only way that S can be constant throughout the change.

In my opinion, this is a pretty hinky problem.

Last edited:
Here is a simpler analysis of the situation. If the entropy is constant at a value of R, then the change in free energy is given by:
$$\Delta A=C_v(T_2-T_1)-R(T_2-T_1)=(C_v-R)(T_2-T_1)$$
The only way this can be zero is if ##C_v=R##.

The change in entropy for an ideal gas is given by:$$\Delta S=C_p\ln(T_2/T_1)-R\ln(P_2/P_1)$$
But, if ##\Delta S = 0##, we have:
$$C_p\ln(T_2/T_1)=R\ln(P_2/P_1)$$
But, if ##C_v=R##, then ##C_p=2R##
So, $$\ln(P_2/P_1)=2\ln(T_2/T_1)$$
But, for all this to hold together, we must have that ##C_v=R##, which is physically unrealistic.

Related to Estimating the final pressure of a transformation

1. What is the purpose of estimating the final pressure of a transformation?

The purpose of estimating the final pressure of a transformation is to predict the pressure that a system or substance will reach after undergoing a physical or chemical change. This information is useful for understanding the behavior of the system and making informed decisions about how to control or manipulate it.

2. How is the final pressure of a transformation estimated?

The final pressure of a transformation is estimated by using mathematical equations and calculations based on the properties of the substances involved, such as temperature, volume, and initial pressure. These equations take into account factors such as the ideal gas law, reaction kinetics, and thermodynamic principles to provide an accurate estimation of the final pressure.

3. What is the significance of estimating the final pressure of a transformation?

Estimating the final pressure of a transformation is significant because it allows scientists and engineers to make informed decisions about the behavior and manipulation of a system. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing processes in various industries, such as chemical, pharmaceutical, and environmental.

4. Is it possible to accurately predict the final pressure of a transformation?

While it is not always possible to predict the exact final pressure of a transformation, it is possible to estimate it with a high degree of accuracy. This will depend on the complexity of the system and the accuracy of the data and assumptions used in the calculations. However, with advanced modeling and simulation techniques, scientists can often predict the final pressure within a reasonable margin of error.

5. How can the estimated final pressure of a transformation be validated?

The estimated final pressure of a transformation can be validated through experimental data. This involves conducting the transformation under controlled conditions and measuring the final pressure to compare it with the estimated value. Any discrepancies can then be analyzed and adjusted for in future estimations. Additionally, the use of multiple estimation methods and comparisons between them can also help validate the accuracy of the estimated final pressure.