Estimating the Degree of Roughness for Challenging Homework Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses finding square roots, solving a homogeneous system of equations using Gaussian elimination, and finding a vector D without enough information provided.
lorik

Homework Statement

ok I am going to supply some preps I got from exam(all that i remember) and I want you to estimate the degree of roughness

Find the square roots

1) |z|9+27=0

2)find homogenus system

x+y-c+2z=0
-x+2y+c+z=0
x+y+c+z=0
2x+y+c+2z=0 ------->im not sure but its pretty similar I think the concept could be the same

3)vector A(2,3,1) B(3,2,2) C(1,2,1) find vector D

I DONT WANT YOU TO SOLVE MY EQUATION BUT JUST GIVE OUT THOUGHTS of a possible solution BTW I failed this exam, next one I'll be hoping to get in is in june

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm not sure what the question ask, but i'll try to understand.
and sorry if i have a bad english, ngahaha

lorik said:

Find the square roots

1) |z|9+27=0

square root of what?
lorik said:
2)find homogenus system

x+y-c+2z=0
-x+2y+c+z=0
x+y+c+z=0
2x+y+c+2z=0 ------->im not sure but its pretty similar I think the concept could be the same

maybe the question asking the values of the unknown of the homogeneous system,

if yes,

try to convert them to Ax=B

hmm how do i show A, I am not really good in latex, and lazy to find one, but it is something like

( 1 1 -1 2 ) x 0
( -1 2 1 1 ) y = 0
( 1 1 1 1 ) c 0
( 2 1 1 2 ) z 0something like that ahaha.

then they are many ways to solve it.
lorik said:

i think something is missing on this question,

lorik said:

Homework Statement

ok I am going to supply some preps I got from exam(all that i remember) and I want you to estimate the degree of roughness

Find the square roots

1) |z|9+27=0

2)find homogenus system

x+y-c+2z=0
-x+2y+c+z=0
x+y+c+z=0

I DONT WANT YOU TO SOLVE MY EQUATION BUT JUST GIVE OUT THOUGHTS of a possible solution BTW I failed this exam, next one I'll be hoping to get in is in june
Do you have any thoughts?

There is not enough information in your third problem. If all you know is three vectors, and no other information, there's no way to find some other vector.

annoymage said:
i'm not sure what the question ask, but i'll try to understand.
and sorry if i have a bad english, ngahaha

square root of what?

maybe the question asking the values of the unknown of the homogeneous system,

if yes,

try to convert them to Ax=B

hmm how do i show A, I am not really good in latex, and lazy to find one, but it is something like

( 1 1 -1 2 ) x 0
( -1 2 1 1 ) y = 0
( 1 1 1 1 ) c 0
( 2 1 1 2 ) z 0

something like that ahaha.

then they are many ways to solve it.

i think something is missing on this question,

1)of z.
2)can i use row echelon form, like gauss elimination ?
3)I think not !

1. of you mean to find [tex]\sqrt{z}[/tex] or z1/2

then

lzl9 = -27

and you have to make z in term of a number
or something like this

[tex]\sqrt{z}[/tex] = ?

2. of course you can use gauss elimination method, it think you need to understand that method so you can apply it for some other problems

3. i really think to find D is imposible, how can you find one, there don't have any relation from A,B or C

annoymage said:
1. of you mean to find [tex]\sqrt{z}[/tex] or z1/2

then

lzl9 = -27

and you have to make z in term of a number
or something like this

[tex]\sqrt{z}[/tex] = ?

2. of course you can use gauss elimination method, it think you need to understand that method so you can apply it for some other problems

3. i really think to find D is imposible, how can you find one, there don't have any relation from A,B or C

1) Should it be z=square root of 1 square + 27 square = 28

arctang =b/a =27/1 = pi/4 ?
----> 28(cos pi/4 + isin pi/4)
square root (cos Φ+2kpi/n + isin Φ+2kpi/n)

I need a bit of help here !

2)thanks for clearing that up

3)maybe I am hypothesizing don't know ,will look it up.

1)
lorik said:
|z|9+27=0
The question was probably find all of the roots of this equation. That would be find all nine of the ninth roots (not square roots) of |z|9, where |z|9 = -27.

For 2, yes use row reduction to find the solution of the system of equations.

For 3, we're telling you that you haven't provided enough information.
lorik said:
vector A(2,3,1) B(3,2,2) C(1,2,1) find vector D

This is just like if I said x = 2, y = 5, z = -3, find w. Unless we know of some relationship between x, y, z, and w, this is a meaningless question. Same thing with the vectors in the question you asked. There has to be some relationship between all the vectors so that it's possible to find the last vector.

Related to Estimating the Degree of Roughness for Challenging Homework Problems

1. What is the purpose of estimating the degree of roughness for challenging homework problems?

The purpose of estimating the degree of roughness for challenging homework problems is to gauge the level of difficulty of the problem and to determine the amount of time and effort that may be needed to solve it. It can also help to identify any potential roadblocks or obstacles that may arise while attempting to solve the problem.

2. How do you estimate the degree of roughness for challenging homework problems?

To estimate the degree of roughness, you can start by carefully reading and analyzing the problem. Pay attention to any keywords or phrases that may indicate the level of difficulty, such as "challenging," "complex," or "difficult." You can also break the problem down into smaller parts and assess the difficulty of each part individually. Additionally, you can consult with peers or instructors who may have experience with similar problems.

3. Can the degree of roughness change as you work through the problem?

Yes, the degree of roughness can change as you work through the problem. This can happen if you encounter unexpected difficulties or if you realize that the problem is more complex than you initially thought. It is important to reassess the degree of roughness as you work through the problem to adjust your approach and manage your time effectively.

4. Is estimating the degree of roughness a subjective process?

Estimating the degree of roughness for challenging homework problems can be somewhat subjective, as different individuals may have varying levels of experience and skill. However, by carefully analyzing the problem and utilizing a systematic approach, you can minimize the subjectivity and arrive at a more accurate estimation.

5. How can estimating the degree of roughness improve problem-solving skills?

Estimating the degree of roughness for challenging homework problems can help improve problem-solving skills by providing a clear understanding of the level of difficulty and potential obstacles. This can help you to approach the problem with a more focused mindset and develop effective strategies to overcome the challenges. Additionally, by reassessing the degree of roughness as you work through the problem, you can learn to adapt and adjust your problem-solving approach, which can be valuable in future problem-solving situations.