Estimating Rotational Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rotational temperature of an R-branch of a ^1\Sigma - ^1\Sigma of CO. The maximum intensity at J'=11 and the internuclear distance is 1.1 Ǻ. The Line strength of the J' \rightarrow J'-1 line in the R branch is proportional to J'e^{-aJ'(J'+1)}, where a =\frac{hc B}{kT} and B is the rotational constant. The correct method is to take the derivative of this function with respect to J', set it equal to zero, and solve for T in terms of B and other constants. The distance between the atoms can be used to find the moment of inertia and then
richyw

Homework Statement

An R-branch of a band of a [itex]^1\Sigma - ^1\Sigma[/itex] of CO has its maximum intensity at J'=11. The internuclear distance is 1.1 Ǻ. Estimate the rotational temperature.

Homework Equations

My notes don't even really define what rotational temperature is. They say that the Line strength of the [itex]J' \rightarrow J'-1[/itex] line in the R branch is proportional to[tex]J'e^{-aJ'(J'+1)}[/tex]where[tex]a =\frac{hc B}{kT}[/tex]and B is the rotational constant. My notes also say that this value goes through a maximum value of J' that depends on temperature, so by observing the strongest line I can get the rotational temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been stuck for awhile on this. Initially I thought that I would need to take the derivative of this function with respect to J', set it equal to zero, plug in J'=11 and then solve for a. But I don't think this is the correct method now...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure you're in my class.

I'm pretty sure also that is the correct method, because it worked out quite nicely for me. You should end up with a solution for [itex]T[/itex] in terms of [itex]B[/itex] and the other constants you know. You can use the distance between the atoms to find the moment of inertia, then find [itex]B[/itex].

thanks! I think initially I forgot to square the internuclear distance which gave me a really weird result. Good luck with your studying!

Related to Estimating Rotational Temperature

What is rotational temperature?

Rotational temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules in a gas, specifically related to their rotational motion. It is a thermodynamic property that can be used to estimate the temperature of a gas based on the rotational energy levels of its molecules.

How is rotational temperature estimated?

Rotational temperature can be estimated using various spectroscopic techniques, such as rotational spectroscopy or microwave spectroscopy. These methods involve measuring the rotational energy levels of the gas molecules and using mathematical equations to calculate the temperature.

Why is estimating rotational temperature important?

Estimating rotational temperature is important in various scientific fields, including atmospheric science, astrophysics, and chemistry. It can provide valuable information about the temperature of a gas, which can help in understanding its physical and chemical properties and processes.

What factors can affect the accuracy of rotational temperature estimation?

The accuracy of rotational temperature estimation can be affected by various factors, such as the purity of the gas sample, the pressure and temperature of the gas, and the precision of the spectroscopic equipment used. Inaccurate estimations can also occur if the gas molecules have non-uniform rotational energies due to collisions or other interactions.

Can rotational temperature be used to estimate the temperature of any gas?

No, rotational temperature can only be used to estimate the temperature of gases that have measurable rotational energy levels, such as diatomic molecules or molecules with a permanent dipole moment. It cannot be used for gases with no rotational energy levels, such as monatomic gases.