Estimating Pressure on a Person Standing on the Ground

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the pressure exerted by a person standing on the ground and whether or not fluid pressure plays a role in this problem. The suggested approach is to model the person as a cylinder and use the formula F = PA to find the pressure, using the person's weight as the force and the area under their feet as the area. It is clarified that this problem does not involve fluid pressure.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

What pressure does a person standing on the ground exert?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This has something to do with fluids, but I'm not sure what!

I think I should model the person as a cylinder and find the pressure on the person, then find what the pressure is on the ground?

I really have no idea, that was just a guess. I don't know how to find the pressure on the person either...

Can anyone please get me started?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so I found this F = p*a

Last edited:
The force would be her weight (not her mass) and the area would be the one under her feet. Find the pressure.

I think I'm confused about the set up of the problem.

Force = 80 kg * 9.81 m/s^2

Area = area of top or bottom of cylinder?

then use F = area * pressure to find pressure?

So this has nothing to do with air pressure at all? Just confused because it's in with a bunch of other problems dealing with pressures from fluids, and I thought maybe air pressure contributes somehow.

The way I understand it, it has nothing to do with fluid. Just estimate the area under the feet of Emma (that's why the problem ask for an estimation of the pressure) and then use F = PA.

Related to Estimating Pressure on a Person Standing on the Ground

1. What is the relationship between fluids and pressure on a person?

Fluids exert pressure on a person due to their weight and movement. The deeper a person is submerged in a fluid, the greater the pressure they will experience. This is because the weight of the fluid above them creates a force that is transmitted to the person's body.

2. How does pressure on a person change with depth in a fluid?

The pressure on a person increases with depth in a fluid. This is because the weight of the fluid above them increases, leading to a greater force being exerted on their body. This is known as hydrostatic pressure, and it increases proportionally with depth.

3. What factors affect the pressure a person experiences in a fluid?

The pressure a person experiences in a fluid is affected by the density of the fluid, the depth at which they are submerged, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, the surface area of the person's body and the shape of their body can also impact the pressure they experience.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the pressure it experiences in a fluid?

The shape of an object can greatly affect the pressure it experiences in a fluid. For example, a pointed object will experience less pressure than a flat object due to its smaller surface area. This is why sharp objects like needles can easily pierce through skin.

5. How do fluids and pressure on a person relate to the concept of buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is immersed in it. The amount of buoyancy force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This is why objects with greater density than the fluid will sink, while objects with lower density will float. The pressure on a person's body in a fluid is affected by the buoyant force acting on them, which can make them feel lighter or heavier depending on the density of the fluid and their own body density.