Estimating image distance in lens and mirror

In summary, the equation is: \frac {1}{o} + \frac {1}{i} = \frac {1}{f} where o, i and f are object distance, image distance and focal length.
ShineyPenny
I'm having difficulty understanding how to estimate the location of an image in a lens/mirror.

I tried understanding it by going off the books question/answer section:
"A spherical concave lens has a focal length of 16 cm, and an object is placed 8 cm from the lens." It says the answer is 6.0 cm.

What formula is being used, I cannot figure out how they got 6 cm? All I see in the book for formulas is f=R/2 and R=2f.

I'm confused :(

Physics news on Phys.org
For a lens, it's usually called the "thin lens equation", sometimes with "Gaussian" in front of it. Your textbook surely has it. Try the index at the end of the book. :smile:

The two formulas you named, give the focal length of a mirror with radius R. There's a similar (but a bit more complicated) formula for the focal length of a lens, which is usually called the "lensmaker's equation." But you don't need that for this problem.

Oh, and either you left out a minus sign, or the book has a typographical error, or it's being deliberately sneaky. A concave lens has a negative focal length, not positive.

OK, I believe I have it after running a search for it...it's actually not in the book :(Is the equation:

(1/Object Distance)+(1/Focal Length) = (1/image location)
(1/45) + (1/36) = .05; then (1/.05) = 5.999

This is it? I'm just making sure :)

It's actually usually written as

[tex]\frac{1}{o} + \frac {1}{i} = \frac {1}{f}[/tex]

where o, i and f are object distance, image distance and focal length. Some books use s and s', or p and q, instead of o and i.

Why are you using 45 and 36 for object distance and focal length, when your original problem had 8 and 16? (actually -16 because it has to be negative as I said before)

I have no idea where 45 and 16 came from, sorry it was a long night :blushing:

I input (1/8o) + (1/-16i) = .0625f, then go (1/.0625f) and come out with 16.

Either I'm missing something big, or I haven't drank enough coffee this morning. I even plugged the numbers into this website (http://www.photonics.byu.edu/Thin_Lens_Calc.phtml) and it's not coming up with 6 cm for the image location.

Sorry, I'm not a math person but I'm trying to grasp this :confused:

OK

I have figured it out, the book is wrong and it was verified by the professor :)

I inputted: (1/16f) + (1/8o) = .1875, then (1/.1875)= 5.33.They did not use a negative sign.Thank you! =)

Related to Estimating image distance in lens and mirror

1. What is the formula for calculating image distance in a lens or mirror?

The formula for calculating image distance in a lens or mirror is di = f * do / (do - f), where di is the image distance, f is the focal length, and do is the object distance.

2. How do you determine the sign of the image distance in a lens or mirror?

The sign of the image distance depends on the location of the image relative to the lens or mirror. If the image is on the same side as the object, the image distance is positive. If the image is on the opposite side, the image distance is negative.

3. What is the difference between an upright and inverted image?

An upright image is one where the top of the object is at the top of the image and the bottom of the object is at the bottom of the image. An inverted image is one where the top of the object is at the bottom of the image and the bottom of the object is at the top of the image.

4. Can image distance be negative in a lens or mirror?

Yes, image distance can be negative in a lens or mirror. This occurs when the image is formed on the opposite side of the lens or mirror as the object, resulting in a negative value for the image distance.

5. How does the position of the object affect the image distance in a lens or mirror?

The position of the object affects the image distance in a lens or mirror because the distance between the object and the lens or mirror (object distance) is a factor in the calculation of the image distance. As the object distance changes, the image distance will also change according to the formula mentioned in the first question.