Estimating cost due to power (application of electric current)

In summary, the cost of electricity is 10 cents per kWh. Assuming a two wire line of 0.50 cm diameter copper wire, the energy lost to heat per hour per meter is $841.50.
Theelectricchild
I would like to understand this problem a bit better...

A small city requires 10 MW of power. Suppose that instead of using high voltage lines to supply the power... the power is delivered at 120 V. Assuming a two wire line of 0.50 cm diameter copper wire, estimate the cost of the energy lost to heat per hour per meter. Assume the cost of electricity is about 10 cents per kWh.

Heres what I am wondering: Should I find the area of the wire (using pi*diameter^2 all over 4) and and then use Ohms Law to solve for the amount--- knowing that V = 120?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an equation that relates the heat released by a resistor and the voltage, power, or energy being sent through it?

Well, I don't know what equation I should use to include heat.

energy consumed by resistance

Theelectricchild said:
Well, I don't know what equation I should use to include heat.
First determine the current that must flow through those wires to deliver the stated power.

Then figure out the energy lost in the resistance of the wire as that current flows through it. (You'll need to figure the resistance of the wire.) The power consumed by the resistance is [itex]P = V_{drop}I = I^2R[/itex].

(Please post these kind of questions in the Homework Help forum!)

Doc Al, thank you, and I apologize for posting in this part of the forum I won't do it again.

I seem to get an answer of $841.50! this is interesting--- would you say this is about right using the method you were suggested?

According to http://www.allmeasures.com/Formulae/static/formulae/electrical_resistivity/12.htm, [itex]\rho _{copper} = 16.8 n\Omega \cdot m[/itex]. I don't know why I missed how to do this question (of course, you don't need any formula to calculate heat from energy as I suggested, the heat is the energy!). Anyways:

[tex]R = \frac{\rho _{copper} \times 1m}{2\pi (0.0025m)^2}[/tex]

[tex]P = V^2R[/tex]

[tex]E = P \times 1\ hour[/tex]

The cost, in dollars, is then E/10, as long as E is expressed in kWh. Your numbers look pretty different from mine. What do you have for the resistivity of copper?

1.68e-8 ohms meters is correct, however i am wondering about your 2 times A in the denominator--- should it not be (rho*L)/A then that times 2? Then take that multiply by 120^2

Then take that answer divide by 1000 and then by 10 to get the answer?

the answer is 1190--- btw its I^2 * R hehe, but thank you your explanation is perfect.

You're right, I meant P = V²/R. Doing it this way, you don't even have to calculate current. And the 2A in the denominator seems right. Essentially, you're treating the two wires as one wire with double the cross-sectional area.

AKG said:
You're right, I meant P = V²/R. Doing it this way, you don't even have to calculate current.
If you use [itex]P = V^2/R[/itex], V must be the voltage drop across the wire. This is not 120V.
And the 2A in the denominator seems right. Essentially, you're treating the two wires as one wire with double the cross-sectional area.
Treating the two wires as a single wire with double cross-section won't work: Your value for resistance will be a factor of 4 too low.

Oh, I see. My mistakes.

Doc Al said:
If you use [itex]P = V^2/R[/itex], V must be the voltage drop across the wire. This is not 120V.

is it meant that P=V^2/R ?
how this equation come from ?

1. How do I calculate the estimated cost of power for a specific application?

To calculate the estimated cost of power for a specific application, you will need to know the power consumption of the device or equipment in watts, the duration of use in hours, and the cost of electricity per kilowatt-hour (kWh). Multiply the power consumption by the duration of use and then multiply by the cost per kWh. This will give you the estimated cost of power for that application.

2. What factors can affect the estimated cost of power for an application?

The estimated cost of power for an application can be affected by several factors, including the type and efficiency of the equipment being used, the frequency and duration of use, the cost of electricity, and any additional fees or taxes associated with electricity consumption. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact power consumption and therefore affect the estimated cost.

3. How do I account for fluctuating electricity prices when estimating the cost of power?

To account for fluctuating electricity prices, it is important to use the most current cost of electricity per kWh when calculating the estimated cost of power. This information can typically be found on your electricity bill or by contacting your electricity provider. It is also important to regularly monitor and update the estimated cost of power as electricity prices change over time.

4. Are there any tools or resources available to help with estimating the cost of power for an application?

Yes, there are several online calculators and tools available that can help with estimating the cost of power for a specific application. These tools take into account factors such as power consumption, duration of use, and electricity prices to provide an accurate estimate of the cost. Additionally, your electricity provider may have resources or tools available to help with estimating the cost of power.

5. How can I reduce the estimated cost of power for my application?

There are several ways to reduce the estimated cost of power for an application. These include using energy-efficient equipment, minimizing unnecessary usage or idle time, and considering alternative energy sources such as solar or wind power. Regular maintenance and tune-ups of equipment can also help improve efficiency and reduce power consumption, ultimately lowering the estimated cost of power.