Estimating atomic diameter from substance density

In summary, to estimate the diameter of an atom of a substance with a density of 103 kg/m3, we can use the equation Vatom = 4πr3/3 and rearrange it to solve for the radius (r). However, without knowing the molar mass of the substance, we cannot accurately estimate the diameter of the atom.
scanwinder

Homework Statement

Estimate the diameter of an atom of a substance whose density is 103 kg/m3

Homework Equations

Vatom = 4 [tex]\pi[/tex] r3 /3
[tex]\sigma[/tex] = m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted a few different things, but I always come out a variable short, and although they question says estimate, I can't see that I can estimate a variable like atomic weight as it varies too much for an estimate to be reasonable.

I have rearranged equations to get:
V = m/[tex]\sigma[/tex] = n [tex]\times[/tex] NA [tex]\times[/tex] (4/3) [tex]\times[/tex] [tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\times[/tex] r3

I don't even know how close together the atoms are as I don't know the sate of the substance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the best I can do is get the molar mass of the substance (which I don't have) and work from there, but can't see how I can estimate this without knowing the substance.

Related to Estimating atomic diameter from substance density

1. How is atomic diameter related to substance density?

Atomic diameter and substance density are inversely related. This means that as atomic diameter increases, substance density decreases, and vice versa.

2. Is there a formula for estimating atomic diameter from substance density?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to estimate atomic diameter from substance density. It is called the Van der Waals equation and is commonly used in chemistry and physics.

3. Can atomic diameter and substance density be accurately measured?

Atomic diameter and substance density can be estimated using various techniques such as X-ray crystallography and electron microscopy. However, due to the extremely small size of atoms, these measurements may not always be 100% accurate.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of estimating atomic diameter from substance density?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of this estimation. These include experimental error, impurities in the substance, and variations in atomic structure.

5. Why is it important to estimate atomic diameter from substance density?

Estimating atomic diameter from substance density can provide valuable information about the physical properties of a substance. It can also help in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as in the development of new materials and technologies.