Estimating an X Value with a Known Y Value in Excel

• Thread starter 2slowtogofast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel Value
In summary, to estimate an X value with a known Y value in Excel, you can use the "TREND" function for linear regression or the "GROWTH" function for non-linear regression. The accuracy of the estimated X values depends on the data and type of regression used. Multiple X values can be estimated by using the function in a range of cells. Other functions such as "FORECAST", "LOGEST", and "LINEST" can also be used for estimation in Excel.
2slowtogofast
I have a graph in excel and i need to estimate an x value with a known y value. Pretty much i need to draw a horizontal line at y= given value over to my data line. Then a verticle line down to find the x value. How can i do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Im not sure what version of excel you are using, but you could go "Insert >> Shapes" and then select the line and manually draw the lines and adjust as necessary. I am not sure if there is a better way.

Related to Estimating an X Value with a Known Y Value in Excel

1. How do I use Excel to estimate an X value with a known Y value?

To estimate an X value with a known Y value in Excel, you can use the built-in function called "TREND". This function uses linear regression to calculate the estimated X value based on a known Y value and a set of known X values. Simply enter the function as "=TREND(known_y's,known_x's,new_x's)" in a blank cell, where "known_y's" are the known Y values, "known_x's" are the corresponding known X values, and "new_x's" is the Y value for which you want to estimate the X value. Press enter to get the estimated X value.

2. Can I estimate an X value with a known Y value using non-linear regression in Excel?

Yes, you can also use non-linear regression in Excel to estimate an X value with a known Y value. This can be done by using the "GROWTH" function, which is similar to the "TREND" function but allows for non-linear regression. Simply enter the function as "=GROWTH(known_y's,known_x's,new_x's)" in a blank cell and press enter to get the estimated X value.

3. How accurate are the estimated X values in Excel?

The accuracy of the estimated X values in Excel depends on the quality of your data and the type of regression used. The linear regression used in the "TREND" function assumes a linear relationship between the X and Y values, so if your data follows a linear trend, the estimated X values will be fairly accurate. However, if your data follows a non-linear trend, the accuracy may be lower. It is important to evaluate the regression model and the data before relying on the estimated X values.

4. Can I use Excel to estimate multiple X values with a known Y value?

Yes, you can use Excel to estimate multiple X values with a known Y value. This can be done by entering the "TREND" or "GROWTH" function in a range of cells instead of just one cell. Make sure the known Y values and corresponding known X values are in the correct order within the function for accurate estimation of multiple X values.

5. Are there any other functions in Excel that can help me estimate X values with a known Y value?

Yes, there are other functions in Excel that can help you estimate X values with a known Y value. These include "FORECAST", which uses linear regression to predict a future Y value based on existing X and Y values, and "LOGEST", which can be used for exponential regression. You can also use the "LINEST" function to get the coefficients of the regression model, which can then be used to calculate estimated X values manually.