Estimate Sun's Rotation Period as a Neutron Star

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the new period of rotation of the sun if it were to collapse into a neutron star. The given parameters include the sun's current radius and period of rotation, and the desired result is to find the new period in seconds. The conversation also includes a discussion on calculating the moments of inertia and using conservation of angular momentum to arrive at the answer. There is also a clarification on the meaning of "d" in the given period of 25.3d, which stands for days.
wildrjetta
Could someone help me start this problem. My mind it in the angular momentum mode and I am having trouble seeing where to start on this one. :confused:

The sun's radius is 6.96E8m and it rotates with a period of 25.3d. Estimate the new period of rotation of the sun if it collapses with no loss of mass to become a neutron star of radius 5.5km. Give the result in seconds.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
With the given radius you can find [tex]I_{initial}[/tex] and [tex]I_{final}[/tex]. With the given period, find out [tex]\omega_{initial}[/tex]. Then you use conservation of angular momentum to achieve your answer.

as such...(you don't need the moments of inertia exactly because it maintains a spherical shape and same mass so those factor out)

[tex](r_i)^2 \omega_i = (r_f)^2 \omega_f[/tex]
[tex]\omega_f = \frac{(r_i)^2 \omega_i}{(r_f)^2}[/tex]
[tex] T_{new} = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega_f} [/tex]

follow complete done

I calculated two different answers, both of which were to my dismay incorrect...but I am thinking that a conversion error might be the culprit. I am having trouble understanding what "a period of 25.3d" is -- as in, what does "d" stand for...should it be a time unit?

in a period d=days

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! to everyone involved in helping with this problem! :biggrin:

Related to Estimate Sun's Rotation Period as a Neutron Star

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a type of celestial object that is formed after the collapse of a massive star in a supernova explosion. It is incredibly dense, with a mass greater than that of the sun packed into a radius of only a few kilometers. Neutron stars are also known for their incredibly strong magnetic fields and rapid rotation.

2. How is the rotation period of a neutron star estimated?

The rotation period of a neutron star can be estimated by observing its pulsations. As the star rotates, its intense magnetic field causes it to emit beams of radiation, which can be detected by telescopes on Earth. By tracking the intervals between these pulses, scientists can determine the rotation period of the neutron star.

3. What is the estimated rotation period of the Sun as a neutron star?

The estimated rotation period of the Sun as a neutron star is approximately 1.4 milliseconds. This means that the Sun would complete one full rotation in only 1.4 milliseconds, compared to its current rotation period of about 25 days.

4. How does the rotation period of a neutron star compare to other celestial objects?

The rotation period of a neutron star is significantly faster than most other celestial objects. For comparison, the Earth has a rotation period of about 24 hours, while the fastest rotating pulsars (a type of neutron star) have periods of only a few milliseconds.

5. Can the rotation period of a neutron star change?

Yes, the rotation period of a neutron star can change over time. This can happen due to a variety of factors, such as the transfer of matter from a companion star or the emission of gravitational waves. However, any changes in the rotation period are typically very small and difficult to detect.