Estimate Mass H2O Vapor in 1 m^3 Air at +20°C

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the mass of water vapor in 1 m^3 of saturated air at a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius. The solution involves using the ideal gas law, but attention must be paid to the units. The person asking the question also asks if the phrasing of the problem is physically incorrect.
Orbital

Homework Statement

Estimate the mass of water vapor that is contained in [itex]1 m^3[/itex] of saturated air at a temperature of plus 20 degrees Celsius

2. The attempt at a solution
I looked up the saturation pressure for water vapor at the given temperature. Can I just use the ideal gas-law for the mass? i.e. is the solution as simple as
[tex]m_{H_2O} = \frac{P_{sat, H_2O}}{R_{H_2O}T}[/tex]
or do I have to make another approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes this looks right, but -as usual- be careful with the units

Last edited:
Can you tell me why the phrasing of the problem is physically incorrect?

Related to Estimate Mass H2O Vapor in 1 m^3 Air at +20°C

What is the formula for estimating the mass of H2O vapor in 1 m^3 of air at +20°C?

The formula for estimating the mass of H2O vapor in 1 m^3 of air at +20°C is:
M = ρ x V x RH x MW
where M is the mass of H2O vapor, ρ is the density of air, V is the volume of air, RH is the relative humidity, and MW is the molecular weight of water.

How do you calculate the density of air at +20°C?

The density of air at +20°C can be calculated using the ideal gas law:
ρ = (P x MW) / (R x T)
where P is the pressure, MW is the molecular weight of air, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What is the average relative humidity of air at +20°C?

The average relative humidity of air at +20°C varies depending on location and weather conditions, but it is generally around 50%.

Why is it important to estimate the mass of H2O vapor in air?

Estimating the mass of H2O vapor in air is important for understanding and predicting weather patterns, as well as for various industrial and scientific applications such as air conditioning and drying processes.

What factors can affect the accuracy of estimating the mass of H2O vapor in air?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of estimating the mass of H2O vapor in air include changes in temperature, pressure, and humidity, as well as the presence of other gases and pollutants in the air.