Error-riffic textbook written by a University Professor

In summary, the textbook is riddled with mistakes, and the author is the advisor to the student teaching the class. People have complained, but it seems like nothing is ever done about it. The student is uncertain about how to go about fixing the mistakes, and is considering approaches to the professor.
dkotschessaa
I will not mention the book by name unless I have to.

However...

I have a textbook for a class, which is quite bad. Amazon reviews of the book show 1 star ratings and terrible reviews. The book is error ridden, and there are quite a few typos and mistakes.

The author teaches at my university. He is not my professor, though he is the advisor to the Phd student that is teaching the class (probability).

People cry and scream and complain, of course. But rather than do that, I was wondering - is there something productive I can do instead? Is there a proper way to approach the professor, and not only mention the errors (maybe nobody has bothered to do so?) but even offer to help in some way for a later edition. I guess I am thinking I could turn this into some sort of opportunity and make a better situation for people who take this class in the future.

The point is - if nobody says anything, how will it ever get fixed?

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a textbook for a class, which is quite bad. Amazon reviews of the book show 1 star ratings and terrible reviews. The book is error ridden, and there are quite a few typos and mistakes.
These books are great! You can learn a lot by correcting the mistakes.

Is the book prescribed for any classes?
In which case - you want to approach the dean.
Say you are uncertain about approaching the author and you want help.
Another person to approach would be one of the professor's grad students.
It's not fatal though because, forewarned, you need only use a second hand text for the in-class references an a real text for the information.

It helps if you've gone through the book and written an errata - and got the errata checked by someone at the uni ... if you are unsure who to ask, ask the dean who to ask or a more senior student - i.e. aforementioned grad student.

Offering to help write the next edition will look insulting unless you are some sort of prodigy. Politely circulating errata sheets is easier to accept.

Likes vanhees71
That's kind of what I was thinking. I might start with the Phd student who is teaching the class, but his office hours don't quite work for me. For now perhaps I will just try to keep track of what I find.

Related to Error-riffic textbook written by a University Professor

1. What is an "error-riffic" textbook?

An "error-riffic" textbook is a term used to describe a textbook that is filled with errors or mistakes. It is often used as a playful or sarcastic way to say that a textbook is not well-written or accurate.

2. Who is the University Professor that wrote this textbook?

The University Professor is the author of the textbook and is a professor at a university. The specific professor's name may vary depending on the textbook, but they are typically experts in their field and have been chosen by the university to teach and conduct research.

3. Are errors common in textbooks written by University Professors?

While errors can occur in any type of textbook, textbooks written by University Professors tend to be thoroughly researched and reviewed before publication. However, it is not uncommon for a textbook to contain a few errors or mistakes, as they are written by humans and subject to human error.

4. How do errors in a textbook affect its credibility?

Errors in a textbook can significantly impact its credibility, as readers may question the accuracy and reliability of the information presented. This is why it is important for textbooks to undergo thorough editing and fact-checking processes before publication.

5. What should I do if I find an error in a textbook written by a University Professor?

If you find an error in a textbook written by a University Professor, you can first try to contact the publisher or the author to inform them of the mistake. You can also bring it to the attention of your professor or classmates, as they may have noticed the error as well. It is important to address errors in textbooks to ensure the accuracy of the information being presented.