Error propagation when dividing by exact number

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the amount of acetylsalicylic acid in a sample using spectrophotometry. The first step is to calculate the moles of acetylsalicylic acid in a measured mass, which is 0.1620 ± 0.0005g. The molar mass of acetylsalicylic acid is given as 180.2gmol-1. Using the equation mass/molar mass = moles, the attempt at a solution is 0.1620 ± 0.0005g/180.2gmol-1, but there is uncertainty about how to handle the error. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the error from the spect
NihalRi

Homework Statement

Some Background - We are calculating the amount of acetylsalicylic acid in a sample using spectrophotometry. We were told to make sure to include the error in our answer. So first to calculate the moles of acetylsalicylic acid in a measured mass.

0.1620 ± 0.0005g measured using a digital balance
180.2gmol-1 (molar mass of acetylsalicylic acid given in book)

2. Homework Equations

Mass/molar mass = moles

3. The Attempt at a Solution

0.1620 ± 0.0005g/180.2gmol-1
I know that we divide the number and error by the fixed value but the error has way too many numbers so I am not sure how much to keep. My first guess is one more decimal place than the value but this does not make sense to me because is seems like there are too many significant digits in the answer for such a large error.

8.990±0.0277×10-4mol

Calculating errors has always been a nightmare for me especially when the numbers are not pretty, I'd like to get this thing down so I would greatly appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
My reaction is to think you need to know what the error of your spectrophotometric measurement is . and my guess is that this is so sufficiently more than the 0.03% is that right? weight error range that you don't need to bother about latter .

Likes NihalRi
epenguin said:
My reaction is to think you need to know what the error of your spectrophotometric measurement is . and my guess is that this is so sufficiently more than the 0.03% is that right? weight error range that you don't need to bother about latter .

Yes, I can get the error from the spectrophotometric measurement which is ±0.0005 from the readings which is around 0.09% for my first reading and 0.48% for my last. So I don't need to bother with calculating the error in the concentration. Got it thanks :)

Related to Error propagation when dividing by exact number

1. What is error propagation when dividing by an exact number?

Error propagation when dividing by an exact number refers to the process of determining the uncertainty or error in a result obtained by dividing a measured quantity by a known, exact number. This is typically done by propagating the uncertainties of the measured quantity through the division calculation.

2. Why is error propagation important when dividing by an exact number?

Error propagation is important because it allows for a more accurate and precise determination of the uncertainty in a calculated result. It takes into account the uncertainties in the measured quantities, rather than assuming that the exact number has no uncertainty, which can lead to incorrect or misleading results.

3. How is error propagation calculated when dividing by an exact number?

The error or uncertainty in a result obtained by dividing by an exact number is calculated by propagating the uncertainties of the measured quantities through the division calculation using the rules of error propagation. This typically involves taking the absolute values of the uncertainties and adding them in quadrature, then dividing by the value of the exact number.

4. Can error propagation be avoided when dividing by an exact number?

No, error propagation cannot be avoided when dividing by an exact number. Even though the exact number has no uncertainty, the measured quantities used in the division calculation do, and therefore the uncertainty in the result must be determined through error propagation.

5. Is there a difference in error propagation when dividing by an exact number compared to a non-exact number?

Yes, there is a difference in error propagation when dividing by an exact number compared to a non-exact number. When dividing by an exact number, the uncertainty in the result will only depend on the uncertainties of the measured quantities. However, when dividing by a non-exact number, the uncertainty in the result will also depend on the uncertainty in the non-exact number itself.