Error propagation in an average of two values

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the error in a final quantity V, which is the average of two values obtained from two runs in a lab experiment. The error is obtained through tedious propagation and the question is raised on the best method to calculate the error for the final V. The suggestion is made to use the fact that Vaverage=(V1+V2)/2 and propagate the error using the addition/subtraction formula, then equate the fractional error to the fractional error in Vaverage. This may seem complicated but is a simple example of propagation of error. The possibility of using a weighted average is also mentioned, where the weighting is 1/Δ2. However, in this case, since the values and errors are
beth92
I'm writing up an experiment I did for a lab course and I am calculating the error in quantity V. I have two runs and have ended up with a value of V for each one, as well as an error. Ie, I have

V = 0.1145±0.0136 for Run 1
V= 0.1146± 0.0134 for Run 2

I got my errors through some tedious propagation which I won't go into, but what I'm wondering is what's the best way to calculate the error for my final V? (which will be the average V for the two runs) I have looked around and can't seem to find anything which gives a straight answer.

Would it be ridiculous to use the fact that Vaverage=(V1+V2)/2 and then propagate the error in (V1+V2) using the addition/subtraction propagation formula, then equate this quantity's fractional error to the fractional error in Vaverage? This seems a little over complicated.
Normally I would take the error in an average using Standard Deviation but that doesn't seem appropriate for just two values.

Physics news on Phys.org
beth92 said:
Would it be ridiculous to use the fact that Vaverage=(V1+V2)/2 and then propagate the error in (V1+V2) using the addition/subtraction propagation formula, then equate this quantity's fractional error to the fractional error in Vaverage? This seems a little over complicated.
That is how I would do it. It is just one of the simplest examples of propagation of error.

I find these figures fascinating. Is it possible to explain what you measured and what instruments were used.
I would like to know about the tedious propagation you used to arrive at the errors.
The explanation may be there.

Been many years since I did much statistics but I think you normally use a weighted average where the weighting is 1/Δ2. That way the result is biased towards the value with the lowest error.

In this case the two values and their error are virtually the same so it won't make much difference.

I would recommend using the standard deviation method to calculate the error in your final V value. While it may seem like overkill for just two values, it is a more accurate and reliable method compared to simply propagating the error in (V1+V2) using the addition/subtraction formula.

By using the standard deviation method, you are taking into account the variability of each individual measurement and how they contribute to the overall error in the average. This method is commonly used in scientific experiments and is a more robust approach to calculating error.

Additionally, if you are concerned about the validity of using standard deviation for just two values, you can also report the range of values for your final V, which would be (V1+V2)/2 ± standard deviation. This way, you are providing both the average value and the range of values that encompass the error.

In summary, while it may seem complicated, using the standard deviation method is the most appropriate and accurate way to calculate the error in your final V value. It takes into account the variability of each individual measurement and provides a more comprehensive understanding of the error.

Related to Error propagation in an average of two values

1. What is error propagation in an average of two values?

Error propagation in an average of two values is the process of determining the uncertainty or error in the average of two measured values. It takes into account the individual errors of the two values and calculates the overall uncertainty in the average.

2. How is error propagation in an average of two values calculated?

The error in the average of two values can be calculated using the following formula: ∆x̄ = √(∆x₁² + ∆x₂²), where ∆x̄ is the uncertainty in the average, ∆x₁ is the uncertainty in the first value, and ∆x₂ is the uncertainty in the second value.

3. What factors can affect error propagation in an average of two values?

There are several factors that can affect error propagation in an average of two values, such as the individual uncertainties of the two values, the correlation between the two values, and the number of significant figures used in the average calculation.

4. How does the correlation between two values impact error propagation?

The correlation between two values can impact error propagation by either reducing or increasing the overall uncertainty in the average. If the two values are positively correlated (they increase or decrease together), the overall uncertainty will be smaller. If the two values are negatively correlated (they change in opposite directions), the overall uncertainty will be larger.

5. Can error propagation be avoided in an average of two values?

No, error propagation cannot be completely avoided in an average of two values. However, it can be minimized by using precise measurement techniques and reducing the uncertainties in the individual values as much as possible.