Error Propagation: Calculating Puck's X-Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the error in a puck's x-velocity given the error in its speed and angle. Two methods are presented, one using partials and the other using proportionalities of errors. The confusion arises on which method is the correct one for calculating the error.
asleight

Homework Statement

Given that a puck's velocity is speed [tex]v[/tex] at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] (measured in radians) with the x-axis, we know that the puck's x-velocity is [tex]v\cos(\theta)[/tex]. Given the error in [tex]v[/tex] is [tex]\sigma_v[/tex] and the error in [tex]\theta[/tex] is [tex]\sigma_\theta[/tex], what is the resulting error in the puck's x-velocity?

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for partials, we get:

[tex]\sigma_{v_{x}}=\sqrt{\left(\cos(\theta)\sigma_{v}\right)^2+\left(-v\sin(\theta)\sigma_{\theta}\right)^2}[/tex].

Or, using proportionalities of errors, we find:

[tex]\sigma_{v_{x}}=\sqrt{\left(\frac{\sigma_{v}}{v}\right)^2{v_{x}}^2+\left(\frac{\sigma_{\theta}}{\theta}\right)^2{v_{x}}^2}[/tex].

These yield two different values... Which is a real propagation?

Physics news on Phys.org
This link touches on dealing with error propagation for angles.
http://instructor.physics.lsa.umich.edu/ip-labs/tutorials/errors/prop.html

Since you are interested in the product of two measured values that would suggest that your second method would be the final step.

But arriving at the fractional uncertainty of the Trig function suggests finding the absolute uncertainty in the function first.

By the Rule 4 at the link I cited above you might model that as σf = dF(θ)/dθ = σθSinθ

From that calculate the relative uncertainty as σθSinθ/Cosθ = σθTanθ ?

By my method I think that would make it

σvx = ((σv/v)2 + (σθTanθ)2)1/2

Last edited by a moderator:
LowlyPion said:
This link touches on dealing with error propagation for angles.
http://instructor.physics.lsa.umich.edu/ip-labs/tutorials/errors/prop.html

Since you are interested in the product of two measured values that would suggest that your second method would be the final step.

But arriving at the fractional uncertainty of the Trig function suggests finding the absolute uncertainty in the function first.

By the Rule 4 at the link I cited above you might model that as σf = dF(θ)/dθ = σθSinθ

From that calculate the relative uncertainty as σθSinθ/Cosθ = σθTanθ ?

Thank you, Lowly, but I guess I'm still confused. All year we've used the RSS of the partials to show the error in the unknown parameter but, recently, my TA introduced the idea of proportionality of squares. That is, [tex](dC/C)^2 = (dA/A)^2+(dB/B)^2[/tex]. Which is right?

Last edited by a moderator:
By my method I think that would make it

σvx = ((σv/v)2 + (σθTanθ)2)1/2

Related to Error Propagation: Calculating Puck's X-Velocity

1. What is error propagation?

Error propagation is the process of determining the uncertainty or error in a final result that is calculated from one or more measured quantities, each of which has its own uncertainty.

2. Why is error propagation important in scientific calculations?

Error propagation is important because it allows scientists to understand the potential sources of error in their calculations and to calculate the overall uncertainty in their results. This helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of scientific data.

3. How is error propagation used to calculate Puck's X-velocity?

To calculate Puck's X-velocity, we first need to determine the uncertainties in the measured quantities that are used in the calculation. These can include the mass, initial velocity, and time. Then, using the appropriate mathematical formula, we can combine these uncertainties to calculate the overall uncertainty in Puck's X-velocity.

4. What are the sources of error in calculating Puck's X-velocity?

The sources of error in calculating Puck's X-velocity can include the uncertainties in the measured quantities, as well as any limitations in the equipment used to make the measurements. Other factors such as human error and external forces can also contribute to the overall uncertainty.

5. How can we minimize error in calculating Puck's X-velocity?

To minimize error in calculating Puck's X-velocity, it is important to accurately measure and record all relevant quantities with appropriate precision. Additionally, using multiple trials and averaging the results can help to reduce the impact of random errors. It is also important to carefully consider and account for any potential sources of systematic error in the calculation.