Error in Einstein's Biography on Twin Paradox?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity and the twin paradox. The author of the book "Einstein's Greatest Mistake" explains that someone moving away from Earth at high speed would see Earth passing by quickly, while someone on Earth would see the person moving very slowly through time. However, the correct interpretation is that both observers would see the other in slow motion, and it is only when one makes a U-turn to catch up with the other that they experience time passing at different rates when they meet up. The conversation also mentions a popular science book by a physicist that clarifies this concept.
Vampke
Hi,

I am reading the biography "Einstein's greatest mistake" from David Bodanis.

On page 39 the author explains some of the consequences of relativity by referring to (although he doesn't mention it by name) the twin paradox. He explains that someone accelerating at high speed away from Earth would see life on Earth passing by very quickly, while someone on Earth observing the man in the rocket would see him moving through time very slowly.

However, I remember reading a popular science book by some or other physician that in both cases one observer would see the other in slow motion and that it is only when one of the two makes a U-turn to catch up with the other that they have had time passing at different rates when they meet up.
Which is the correct interpretation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vampke said:
He explains that someone accelerating at high speed away from Earth would see life on Earth passing by very quickly, while someone on Earth observing the man in the rocket would see him moving through time very slowly.

It seems like this author is confused. First, the word "accelerating" is unclear: is he talking about a rocket whose engine is constantly on? Or just about someone moving at high speed away from earth, but coasting, not firing a rocket engine to accelerate? I'm going to assume the latter, because that is usually how the twin paradox is presented, and it's a much simpler case to consider.

Vampke said:
in both cases one observer would see the other in slow motion and that it is only when one of the two makes a U-turn to catch up with the other that they have had time passing at different rates when they meet up

This is basically correct. For more details, I suggest the Usenet Physics FAQ article on the twin paradox:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_paradox.html

Note that there is a careful distinction to be drawn between what each observer actually sees (as in, the image in each one's telescope), vs. what they calculate for the coordinates of events in their respective frames of reference. The "Doppler Shift Analysis" page in the article discusses this.

I agree with Peter, if this is indeed how it is presented in the book, then the author is confused or not explaining himself very well. If it really was someone accelerating away from Earth and about what that person actually sees, the Earth would become more and more redshifted.

Vampke said:
I remember reading a popular science book by some or other physician
It is likely a language barrier problem, but just to point out that a "physician" is not the same thing as a "physicist".

Thanks for the explanation, which confirms what I thought.
The guy from the other book probably had 2 degrees ;)
Clearly I meant to say physicist

Related to Error in Einstein's Biography on Twin Paradox?

1. What is the "Twin Paradox" and how is it related to Einstein's biography?

The "Twin Paradox" is a thought experiment that explores the concept of time dilation in special relativity. It involves two identical twins, one who stays on Earth and one who travels at high speeds in space. The paradox arises when the traveling twin returns to Earth and is younger than their twin who stayed on Earth. This thought experiment was used by Einstein to explain his theory of special relativity.

2. What error was found in Einstein's biography regarding the Twin Paradox?

The error in Einstein's biography regarding the Twin Paradox is that it incorrectly states that the traveling twin ages slower due to time dilation. In fact, according to relativity, both twins experience time passing at the same rate and it is only when they reunite that the traveling twin is younger.

3. How was the error in Einstein's biography discovered?

The error in Einstein's biography was discovered by physicist George Gamow in the 1930s. He noticed that the explanation of the Twin Paradox in the biography did not align with the principles of special relativity and brought it to Einstein's attention.

4. Has the error in Einstein's biography been corrected?

Yes, the error in Einstein's biography regarding the Twin Paradox has been corrected. After being made aware of the mistake, Einstein acknowledged and corrected it in later editions of his biography.

5. Does the error in Einstein's biography affect the validity of his theory of special relativity?

No, the error in Einstein's biography does not affect the validity of his theory of special relativity. The theory has been extensively tested and confirmed by numerous experiments and is widely accepted by the scientific community. The error in the biography does not change the fact that time dilation is a fundamental principle of special relativity.