Error in drift Formula of Current?

Your Name]In summary, there is an error in the provided drift velocity formula, which should be vd = eEτ/m. The correct formula for average velocity is v = eEτ/2m. The forum member also suggests a better formula, v = 0.5eEτ/me, and notes that the average initial velocity is 0. This highlights the importance of constant review and improvement in scientific formulas.
tan99
Error in drift Formula of Current??

Drift velocity, vd = eEτ/me

Drift velocity, as in the current formula I=nevdA should correspond to the average velocity with which the electrons are moving in the steady current, but the formula at top gives the mean FINAL velocity achieved by the electrons in short spurts of time(mean relaxation time, τ).
Since distance d=0.5aτ2 , the average velocity

v=d/τ=0.5eEτ/me

Shouldn't this be a better formula??

PS: The average initial velocity u is 0 I believe...

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this issue with the drift velocity formula. After reviewing the formula and your explanation, I believe there is indeed an error in the formula provided. The drift velocity formula should be vd = eEτ/m, where m is the mass of the electron. This would result in the correct formula for average velocity, v = eEτ/2m.

I appreciate your attention to detail and your suggestion for a better formula. It is important for scientists to constantly review and improve upon existing formulas to ensure accuracy and precision in our calculations. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Related to Error in drift Formula of Current?

1. What is drift formula of current and why is it important in scientific research?

The drift formula of current is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the velocity of charged particles and the electric field they are moving through. This formula is important in scientific research because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of electric currents, which are essential in many fields of science such as electronics, physics, and chemistry.

2. What are the factors that can contribute to errors in the drift formula of current?

There are several factors that can contribute to errors in the drift formula of current. These include measurement errors, variations in the physical properties of the conductive material, and external factors such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, simplifications and assumptions made in the formula can also introduce errors.

3. How can we minimize errors in the drift formula of current?

To minimize errors in the drift formula of current, it is important to carefully calibrate and validate any instruments used for measurements. It is also crucial to carefully control and monitor external factors that can affect the electric current, such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, using more precise and accurate formulas that take into account more factors can also help reduce errors.

4. What are some potential consequences of using an incorrect drift formula of current?

Using an incorrect drift formula of current can lead to inaccurate predictions and interpretations of experimental results. This can result in incorrect conclusions being drawn and can potentially lead to faulty designs or processes in various fields of science and technology. It is therefore important to use the most accurate and up-to-date formula available.

5. How can we improve the drift formula of current to reduce errors?

In order to improve the drift formula of current and reduce errors, it is important to continuously gather data and conduct experiments to validate and refine the formula. This can involve incorporating more factors and variables into the formula, as well as using more advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, collaboration and exchange of ideas among scientists can help identify and correct errors in the formula.