Error equation for the balmer series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the error in λ determined by the Bohr model/Balmer series using the method of taking the differential of all values with error. The equation used is 1/λ = R (1/nf^2 - 1/ni^2) where R is the Rydberg constant with an error of +-1 in the last digit. The attempt at a solution involves substituting 1/K for the brackets and solving for λ, then performing error analysis.
wahaj

Homework Statement

I have to find the error in λ determined by the Bohr model/Balmer series. I am a bit confused with this so I'd like someone to double check my work. I don't know the exact name of this method but basically all you do is take the differential of all the values which have an error to find the error of the determined value.

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{1}{\lambda} = R (\frac{1}{n^2_f} - \frac{1}{n^2_i} ) [/tex]
nf and ni are discreet values so they have no error in them
R is the Rydberg constant and has an error of +-1 in the last digit so
R = (1.097 +- 1 ) * 107 m-1

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \frac{1}{\lambda} = R (\frac{1}{n^2_f} - \frac{1}{n^2_i} ) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\delta \lambda}{\lambda^2} = \delta R (\frac{1}{n^2_f} - \frac{1}{n^2_i} ) [/tex]
[tex] \delta \lambda = \lambda^2 (\frac{1}{n^2_f} - \frac{1}{n^2_i} ) \delta R [/tex]
The reason I am confused with this is that I am trying to find the error in λ but λ shows up on the right hand side of my error equation. Also did I get the error in R in the right decimal place?

Physics news on Phys.org
First: replace everything in brackets with 1/K and solve for lambda.
Now find the error on lambda - should clear up your confusion.

that works thanks

So is the equation supposed to look like as follows: δλ=λ2(1/K)δR? I am so confused.

@dab353: welcome to PF;
Take it step-by-step.
Start with the full equation.
Substitute the 1/K in for the brackets... that's just to make it clear.
Solve that equation for lambda.
Do the error analysis like normal.

Related to Error equation for the balmer series

1. What is the error equation for the Balmer series?

The error equation for the Balmer series is given by Δλ = λobs - λtheo, where Δλ is the error in the measured wavelength, λobs is the observed wavelength, and λtheo is the theoretical wavelength.

2. How is the error in the Balmer series calculated?

The error in the Balmer series is calculated by taking the difference between the measured wavelength and the theoretical wavelength. This difference is known as the error or the uncertainty in the measurement.

3. Why is the error equation important for the Balmer series?

The error equation is important for the Balmer series because it allows us to assess the accuracy of our measurements. By calculating the error, we can determine how close our measured values are to the expected theoretical values.

4. Can the error in the Balmer series be reduced?

Yes, the error in the Balmer series can be reduced by improving the experimental setup and techniques used to measure the wavelengths. This can include using more precise instruments, reducing sources of interference, and taking multiple measurements to minimize random errors.

5. How does the error in the Balmer series affect our understanding of atomic spectra?

The error in the Balmer series can affect our understanding of atomic spectra by introducing uncertainty into the measured values. This can make it difficult to accurately determine the energy levels and transitions of atoms, which can impact our understanding of the physical properties and behavior of matter.