Error Checking Single Slit Diffraction Equation for Bright Lines

In summary, the conversation discusses potential errors in a physics correspondence course and the individual's plan to address them. The first error involves the definition of the coulomb, which should include a time period. The second error relates to the equation for finding bright lines in single slit diffraction, which should include parentheses around the n+1/2 term. Overall, the individual's understanding is correct and the course's errors are considered to be fundamental and sloppy.
donotremember
I believe there are a number of errors in my physics correspondence course and I plan to include a page listing them when I write my final exam, but I would first like to make sure they are errors and not due to my lack of understanding.

1) "The coulomb is defined as the amount of charge passing any point in a circuit when a current of one Ampere is flowing."

I believe this should be

"The coulomb is defined as the amount of charge passing any point in a circuit when a current of one Ampere is flowing for a period of second."

2) For single slit diffraction the equation listed for finding bright lines other than the central one is

(n+ 1/2λ)/w

I believe this should be

(n+1/2)λ/wwhere n is the nth bright line λ; is the wavelength of the light and w is the slit width.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your understanding is correct. The correspondence course is sloppy. Both of those statements are dimensionally wrong. The most fundamental sort of wrong.

Thank you for bringing these potential errors to our attention. As a scientist, it is important to always question and double check information to ensure accuracy.

In regards to the definition of the coulomb, you are correct. The coulomb is defined as the amount of charge passing any point in a circuit when a current of one Ampere is flowing for a period of one second. This is an important clarification to make, as it specifies the time interval in which the current is flowing.

For the single slit diffraction equation, you are also correct. The correct equation for finding bright lines other than the central one is (n+1/2)λ/w, where n is the nth bright line, λ is the wavelength of the light, and w is the slit width. This is a common mistake and it is important to use the correct equation to accurately calculate the positions of the bright lines.

In general, it is always a good practice to double check equations and definitions to ensure accuracy. If you have any further concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck on your final exam.

Related to Error Checking Single Slit Diffraction Equation for Bright Lines

What is the equation for error checking single slit diffraction for bright lines?

The equation for error checking single slit diffraction for bright lines is given by:
Δy = (λL) / (aD)
where Δy is the error in the position of the bright line, λ is the wavelength of the incident light, L is the distance between the slit and the screen, a is the width of the slit, and D is the distance between the slit and the observer.

How do I calculate the error in the position of a bright line using this equation?

To calculate the error in the position of a bright line, simply plug in the values for λ, L, a, and D into the equation: Δy = (λL) / (aD). Make sure to use consistent units for all values.

What is the significance of this equation in single slit diffraction experiments?

This equation is significant in single slit diffraction experiments because it allows for the calculation of the error in the position of the bright line, which can help determine the accuracy of the experiment and the validity of the data collected.

Can this equation be used for any type of incident light?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of incident light as long as the wavelength of the light is known and the other variables (L, a, and D) are measured or determined.

How does this equation help in understanding the behavior of light in single slit diffraction?

This equation helps in understanding the behavior of light in single slit diffraction by providing a quantitative measure of the error in the position of the bright line. This can help in determining the accuracy of the experiment and can also be used to compare with theoretical predictions.