Can I Learn Web Design Without Expensive Courses?

In summary: It seems like it would be a lot more beneficial than looking at pretty templates.It definitely can be a good way to learn, but make sure that you're going through the source code and understanding how everything works before you start designing your own pages. If you're just looking at templates and not understanding how they work, then you're going to end up with a website that looks good but doesn't actually work very well.
Hyperreality
I am thinking of starting an internet business in the near future, but I only have a very limited knowledge on HTML tags, and that about all I know about web design e.g. inserting images, hyperlink.

Can anyone please push me in the right direction (eg a reference book) so I can start to master the skills of web design and management? And is it possible to design a professional web page witout applying those expensive courses?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try Webmonkey ( www.webmonkey.com ). They have some good resources on making a website.

If your trying to make a very professional looking website on your first try, then I would consider paying someone to create it.

Originally posted by Hyperreality

And is it possible to design a professional web page witout applying those expensive courses?

Yes, you can be a cheap ass like me and just buy a template. You can design something yourself from scratch, but unless you're artistic or have some experience it probably won't look at that nice. Have a look at Template Monster.

I am thinking of starting an internet business in the near future, but I only have a very limited knowledge on HTML tags, and that about all I know about web design e.g. inserting images, hyperlink.

Can anyone please push me in the right direction (eg a reference book) so I can start to master the skills of web design and management? And is it possible to design a professional web page witout applying those expensive courses?

IMO, you should probably start with Microsoft Frontpage. A book to go along with it is 'The Complete Reference FrontPage 2000' by Martin S. Matthews. After reading this book and going through FrontPage, you should be in the right direction to having a practical, beginning grasp on web design...

With regards to graphics, 'The Photoshop 6 Wow Book' by Linnea Dayton and Jack Davis is VERY good.

With regards to internet business, a couple books you should consider are:

- 'e-service' by Ron Zemke
- 'Marketing Outrageously' by Jon Spoelstra
- 'MindControlMarketing.com' by Mark Joyner (I didn't like this book's style... or even the author... but the book does consolidate some important things and is a very quick read).

Here is a good website for internet business information: www.e-bc.ca[/URL]

I hope that this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

If you need a webpage designer, just email me or pm me. I'd love to help out a fellow PhysicsForums..

BTW, sample projects I'm working on:

http://www.hinst.net/~tom/ciao
http://www.hinst.net/~tom/sviesoft
http://www.hinst.net/~tom/physicafx
http://www.hinst.net/~tom/sckoolboyhumor

WEB

Holla!

I think freeservers.com is the best for free templates and free hosting

Blaise

Yes it's possible to design a professional looking website, without paying a huge sum of money,just look at that site below.

This link should help you with all your questions..from web design to security
http://www.digitaldeviation.net/links/

Thank guys, do you think checking out source code on different webpages is a good way to learn?

What is website design?

Website design is the process of creating and designing the visual layout, content, and functionality of a website.

Why is website design important?

Website design is important because it can greatly impact the user experience and can make or break the success of a website. A well-designed website is visually appealing, easy to navigate, and can effectively convey information and promote a brand or business.

What are some key elements of good website design?

Some key elements of good website design include a clear and organized layout, user-friendly navigation, appropriate use of color and graphics, consistency in design throughout the website, and fast loading times.

What are some common website design mistakes to avoid?

Some common website design mistakes to avoid include cluttered layouts, difficult navigation, slow loading times, poor color choices, and lack of responsiveness for different devices.

How can I improve the design of my website?

You can improve the design of your website by conducting user research, seeking feedback from others, staying up to date on design trends, and continuously making updates and improvements based on user behavior and feedback.