Interpreting behavioral evolution

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the series is about a future where the human race has been reduced to a desert wasteland, and the only way to save themselves is to find a way to space. The main character, a young boy, is taken on a journey to find a way to space, and along the way he discovers the power of the spice. The spice is a powerful drug that allows people to control the minds of other people.
Loren Booda
What can fossil and other historical records tell us about ancient species' behavioral evolution, like we interpret from preserved physiology the progression of phenomes with genomes?

Biology news on Phys.org
I believe the fossil record is much to limited to give much information in the area you speak of.

Nautica

Originally posted by Loren Booda
What can fossil and other historical records tell us about ancient species' behavioral evolution, like we interpret from preserved physiology the progression of phenomes with genomes?

"Behavioral evolution"? I have an idea what you mean, but could you define it anyway, so that I can make sure I'm on the same page?

"Behavioral evolution": the genetically based changes in behavior that improve survival.

You mean like traveling in herds, or hunting in packs?

Originally posted by Mentat
You mean like traveling in herds, or hunting in packs?

If this is what you mean, then I'd say the evidence for the above examples would be finding fossils of the same species, very close together...perhaps even finding a part of a creature that could serve no conceivable purpose other than in social sturcture (like the resonating chambers of Velociraptors in "Jurassic Park 3").

That's one great example, Mentat. How about finding layers of improving tools in an ongoing community of proto-humans? Are behaviors harder or easier to prove the more primitive the animal?

(By the way, I've wondered where you got your user name.)

There is a large wealth of data on Evolutionary Psychology / Behavioral Genetics at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evolutionary-psychology/

Regards,

Niels Bohr

I'm sorry, Niels, I didn't get much out of it. Maybe you could post a more specific link?

That's one great example, Mentat. How about finding layers of improving tools in an ongoing community of proto-humans? Are behaviors harder or easier to prove the more primitive the animal?

Well, I'd assume that the more complex the animal, the more complex the behavior; ergo, more (different) hints should be found of their behavior. Yours is a good example, since the finding of newer and more advanced tools sheds a lot more light on the behavior and social structure of primitive humans, than (for example) the grouping of many Velociraptor fossils can shed on their particular behaviors.

(By the way, I've wondered where you got your user name.)

The Dune series, by Frank Herbert, played a large role (along with some sci-fi for younger audiences that I read a long time ago, by Bruce Coville).

1. What is behavioral evolution?

Behavioral evolution is the study of how behaviors have changed and adapted over time in different species. It focuses on how behaviors contribute to an organism's survival and reproductive success.

2. How does behavior evolve?

Behavior evolves through a process of natural selection, where certain behaviors are favored and passed down through generations due to their benefits in terms of survival and reproduction. Additionally, environmental factors and social interactions can also play a role in shaping behavior over time.

3. What evidence is used to study behavioral evolution?

Scientists use various types of evidence to study behavioral evolution, including observations of behavior in different species, comparative studies between related species, and studies of behavior in fossils. They also use genetic and neurobiological analyses to understand the underlying mechanisms of behavioral evolution.

4. How do behaviors impact evolution?

Behaviors can have a significant impact on evolution by influencing an organism's ability to survive and reproduce. For example, behaviors that help an organism find food or avoid predators can increase its chances of survival, while behaviors that facilitate mating can increase its reproductive success. Over time, these behaviors can become more prevalent in a population, leading to evolutionary changes.

5. Can behavioral evolution be observed in humans?

Yes, behavioral evolution can be observed in humans. For example, changes in human behavior, such as the development of language and technology, have played a significant role in our evolutionary history. Additionally, studies have shown that cultural practices and social behaviors can also influence human evolution over time.