Eraser sliding down slope - Friction

In summary, the problem involves an eraser sliding down a slope of height 1m and angle of 35 degrees with the ground. The eraser takes 1.8 seconds to slide down and the goal is to find the coefficient of friction. To solve this, you need to identify the forces involved such as gravity, friction, and normal force. Use the uniform acceleration equations with the given time to calculate the distance covered. The eraser's mass can be represented as 'm'.
Kamataat
An eraser slides down a slope of height 1m that makes an angle of 35 degrees with the ground. It takes the eraser 1,8s to do this. Find the coefficient of friction.

I have no clue how to do this. I've not been able to solve any of the equations I've tried, because there is always the mass of the eraser which I don't know.

- Kamataat

Physics news on Phys.org
Kamataat said:
An eraser slides down a slope of height 1m that makes an angle of 35 degrees with the ground. It takes the eraser 1,8s to do this. Find the coefficient of friction.

Start by identifying the forces in the problem. What are they? What is their magnitude? What about their direction?

Just call the eraser's mass 'm', it should take care of itself.

What am I supposed to do with the given time?

The forces are gravity, friction and the normal force?

- Kamataat

The forces are constant, and do not change throught time, so the acceleration will be constant, you can use the uniform acceleration equations with the time. Notice you can calulate the distance covered.

figured it out. thanks!

- Kamataat

Related to Eraser sliding down slope - Friction

1. How does friction affect an eraser sliding down a slope?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object. In the case of an eraser sliding down a slope, friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion, slowing down the eraser's descent.

2. Why does an eraser slide down a slope slower than a pencil?

The amount of friction depends on the surface of the object and the surface it is sliding on. An eraser has a larger surface area than a pencil, resulting in more friction and slower sliding down the slope.

3. Can the angle of the slope affect the friction and speed of the eraser?

Yes, the steeper the slope, the greater the force of gravity pulling the eraser downwards. This can increase the friction and slow down the eraser's descent.

4. How can you reduce friction and make the eraser slide down the slope faster?

One way to reduce friction is by using a smoother surface, such as a waxed or polished slope. This will result in less resistance and therefore a faster slide for the eraser.

5. Does the weight of the eraser affect its sliding speed?

Yes, the weight of the eraser can affect its sliding speed. A heavier eraser will have more force pulling it down the slope, resulting in more friction and a slower slide compared to a lighter eraser.