What is the Probability of Different Poker Hands?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the probability of different poker hands, specifically a full house, three of a kind, and one pair. The formula for finding the probability is mentioned, but the individual is confused about the correct calculations and answers. The conversation also touches on the concept of different card values and combinations.
gimpy
I think my brain is freezing. I can't see how to get the answers to these questions.

A poker hand is defined as drawing 5 cards at random without replacement from a deck of 52 playing cards. Find the probability of each of the following poker hands.

(a) Full House (one pair and one triple of cards with the same face value).

(b) Three of a kind (three equal face values plus two cards of different values).

(c) One pair (one pair of equal face value plus three cards of a different kind).

So for (a) i got [tex]\frac{C(26,2)C(11,1)}{C(52,2)}[/tex]. But I am so lost. To much studying this week :S.

The answers in the back f the book are
(a) 0.00144
(b) 0.02113
(c) 0.42257

Can anyone help me out?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is a full house also a three of a kind? Is a full house also a pair?

Consider that there are [tex]\binom{52}{5}[/tex] possible different poker hands, all of which are equaly likely. So if you can figure out the number of different hands that are , for example a four of a kind, then you're home free.

So, let's look at the possibilities for a four of a kind:
There are 13 different card values that the four of a kind can have, and there are 48 other cards that can be in the four of a kind, so the odds of getting a four of a kind are:
[tex]\frac{13*48}{\binom{52}{5}}[/tex]

Thanks for your reply,

Well i understand that. That was actually one of the questions which i got. Say for:
(a) Full House (one pair and one triple of cards with the same face value).

there are 13 different three of a kind that you can get just like 4 of a kind. Then you are left with 49 cards which equals 24 pairs which one left over and only 12 distinct pairs. So does this mean:
[tex]\frac{13*24}{\binom{52}{5}}[/tex]
or take the pair first, therefore 26 pairs and then 12 ways of selecting 3 of a kind.
[tex]\frac{26*12}{\binom{52}{5}}[/tex]

Both of those answers doesn't correspond to the answer 0.00144 in the book.

Im so confused

Well, there's a little bit more to it:

There are [tex]13*\binom{4}{3}[/tex] three of a kinds, and [tex]12*\binom{4}{2}[/tex] remaining pairs. So for a full house it's:
[tex]\frac{13\binom{4}{3}*12\binom{4}{2}}{\binom{52}{5}}[/tex]

1. How many different poker hands are there?

There are 2,598,960 possible poker hands in a standard 52-card deck.

2. What is the probability of getting a royal flush?

The probability of getting a royal flush in a 5-card hand is 1 in 649,739.

3. What is the best hand in poker?

The best hand in poker is a royal flush, which consists of a 10, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace of the same suit.

4. What is the worst hand in poker?

The worst hand in poker is a high card, where a player has no matching cards or pairs and the highest card in their hand determines their ranking.

5. How do I calculate the odds of winning with a certain hand?

To calculate the odds of winning with a certain hand, you would need to know the number of possible hands that your opponents could have and compare it to the number of possible hands that you could beat with your hand. This can be a complex calculation, so it is often easier to use a poker odds calculator.