Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Equivalent Statements to COmpactness ... Stromberg, Theorem 3.43 ... ...

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
Equivalent Statements to Compactness ... Stromberg, Theorem 3.43 ... ...

I am reading Karl R. Stromberg's book: "An Introduction to Classical Real Analysis". ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 3: Limits and Continuity ... ...

I need help in order to fully understand the proof of Theorem 3.43 on pages 105-106 ... ...

Theorem 3.43 and its proof read as follows:

Stromberg - 1 - Theorem 3.43 ... ... PART 1 ... .... .png
Stromberg - 2 - Theorem 3.43 ... ... PART 2 ... .... ... .png

At about the middle of the above proof by Stromberg we read the following:

" ... ...Next select \(\displaystyle x \in A\) such that \(\displaystyle \rho (x, z) \lt \epsilon / 2\) [\(\displaystyle A\) is dense] ... ... "

My question is as follows:

Can someone demonstrate rigorously how \(\displaystyle A\) is dense in \(\displaystyle X\) guarantees that we can select \(\displaystyle x \in A\) such that \(\displaystyle \rho (x, z) \lt \epsilon / 2\) ... ...

Stromberg defines dense in X as follows ... ...

A set \(\displaystyle A \subset X\) is dense in \(\displaystyle X\) if \(\displaystyle A^{ - } = X\).

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

========================================================================================

It may help MHB readers to have access to Stromberg's terminology associated with topological spaces ... so I am providing access to the main definitions ... as follows:

Stromberg -  Defn 3.11  ... Terminology for Topological Spaces ... .png

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Last edited:

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
You have "A set A is dense in X if $D^-= X$. Doesn't Stromberg define "$D^-$ for a set A? Is it defined as the closure of A? I would think that would be $A^-$ rather than "D"! Where did the "D" come from?

(Actually the definition given later in what you copied is for "set D", not "set A".)

Your question
"
Can someone demonstrate rigorously how [FONT=MathJax_Math]A[/FONT] is dense in [FONT=MathJax_Math]X[/FONT] guarantees that we can select [FONT=MathJax_Math]x[FONT=MathJax_Main]∈[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]A[/FONT][/FONT] such that [FONT=MathJax_Math]ρ[FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]z[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]<[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]ϵ[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]/[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT]"[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]ρ[FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]z[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]<[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]ϵ[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]/[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2"[/FONT][/FONT] makes no sense without saying what "z" is. In a part you did not copy z is given as any point in X. The definition of "A is dense in X" is that the closure of A is X. And the closure or A is A union its limit points. That is, if "A is dense in X" then every point of A is a limit point of X. That, in turn, means that, given any $\epsilon> 0$, every point of X, in particular, z, has some point of X, x, such that $d(z, x)< \epsilon$. But if $\epsilon> 0$, so is $\epsilon/2$ so we can as well use $\epsilon/2$.

[FONT=MathJax_Math]ρ[FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]z[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]<[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]ϵ[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]/[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2?" Doesn[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])[FONT=MathJax_Main]<[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]ϵ[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]/[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
You have "A set A is dense in X if $D^-= X$. Doesn't Stromberg define "$D^-$ for a set A? Is it defined as the closure of A? I would think that would be $A^-$ rather than "D"! Where did the "D" come from?

(Actually the definition given later in what you copied is for "set D", not "set A".)

Your question
"
Can someone demonstrate rigorously how [FONT=MathJax_Math]A[/FONT] is dense in [FONT=MathJax_Math]X[/FONT] guarantees that we can select [FONT=MathJax_Math]x[FONT=MathJax_Main]∈[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]A[/FONT][/FONT] such that [FONT=MathJax_Math]ρ[FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]z[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]<[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]ϵ[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]/[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT]"[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]ρ[FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]z[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]<[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]ϵ[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]/[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2"[/FONT][/FONT]makes no sense without saying what "z" is. In a part you did not copy z is given as any point in X. The definition of "A is dense in X" is that the closure of A is X. And the closure or A is A union its limit points. That is, if "A is dense in X" then every point of A is a limit point of X. That, in turn, means that, given any $\epsilon> 0$, every point of X, in particular, z, has some point of X, x, such that $d(z, x)< \epsilon$. But if $\epsilon> 0$, so is $\epsilon/2$ so we can as well use $\epsilon/2$.

[FONT=MathJax_Math]ρ[FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]z[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]<[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]ϵ[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]/[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2?" Doesn[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])[FONT=MathJax_Main]<[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]ϵ[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]/[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT][/FONT]

Thanks for the help, HallsofIvy ...

Sorry about the typo in the definition of "\(\displaystyle A\) is dense in \(\displaystyle X\)" ... ... I have corrected it in my post above ...

Regarding the definition of \(\displaystyle z\), I left that for the reader to get from the scanned text ... ...

Now ... you write:

" ... ...
the closure of \(\displaystyle A\) is \(\displaystyle A\) union its limit points. That is, if "\(\displaystyle A\) is dense in \(\displaystyle X\)" then every point of \(\displaystyle A\) is a limit point of \(\displaystyle X\). ... ... "

I am having trouble seeing exactly why this is true ... ...

Can you please explain how/why

\(\displaystyle A^- = A \cup \{ x \in X \ : \ x \text{ is a limit point of } A \} = X \)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow\) every point of \(\displaystyle A\) is a limit point of \(\displaystyle X\) ... ...

Hope you can help further ...

Peter