Equivalent Resistance Between Terminals

In summary, the equivalent resistance of the circuit in Fig. P29 between terminals A and B can be calculated by grouping the resistors into series and parallel circuits. Using the equation for parallel resistors, the equivalent resistance is found to be 0.625. However, it is important to redraw the circuit to clearly identify the series and parallel resistors in order to accurately calculate the equivalent resistance.
chunkytuna21
What is the equivalent resistance of the circuit in Fig. P29 between terminals A and B? R1 = 5 , R2 = 5 , R3 = 5 and R4 = 1 . Note that the wires cross but do not make contact at the center.

V= IRe
IRe= IR1 +IR2
Series= Re= R1+R2
Parallel= 1/Re= 1/R1+R2
Re= R1R2/R1+R2

I am assuming all 4 resistors are parallel, right? So, I just plugged the values into the equation: 1/5+1/5+1/5+1/1= 1.6; 1/1.6= 0.625
This isn't the answer though. Where am I going wrong? I know they are not in series because I tried that already. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    51 KB · Views: 284
Physics news on Phys.org
post picture as a link, we still can't see the attachment. What I do in these cases is redraw the circuit to actually show group the series and parallel resistors, that way it's easier to see where you can simplify.

Your approach is correct, but you have made a small error in your calculation. The equivalent resistance in this circuit is not 0.625, it is actually 1.25. Let's break down the steps to see where the error occurred:

1. First, we need to identify the resistors that are in parallel. In this circuit, R1, R2, and R3 are all in parallel, while R4 is in series with the other three resistors.

2. Next, we can use the formula for calculating equivalent resistance in parallel circuits: 1/Re = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3

3. Plugging in the values, we get: 1/Re = 1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5 = 3/5

4. To find the equivalent resistance, we need to take the reciprocal of both sides: Re = 5/3 = 1.67

5. Now, we need to add the resistance of R4, which is in series with the other three resistors. So, the final equivalent resistance is: Re = 1.67 + 1 = 2.67 ohms.

So, the equivalent resistance between terminals A and B is 2.67 ohms. The error in your calculation occurred when you took the reciprocal of 1.6 instead of 1.67. I hope this helps clarify things for you.

Related to Equivalent Resistance Between Terminals

1. What is equivalent resistance between terminals?

Equivalent resistance between terminals is a measure of the total resistance in a circuit between two specific points or terminals. It takes into account both series and parallel resistances in the circuit and simplifies it into one single resistance value.

2. How is equivalent resistance calculated?

Equivalent resistance can be calculated using the following formula: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. This formula takes into account both series and parallel resistances in the circuit.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel resistances?

In a series circuit, resistors are connected end-to-end, creating a single pathway for current to flow through. The total resistance in a series circuit is the sum of all individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, resistors are connected side-by-side, creating multiple pathways for current to flow through. The total resistance in a parallel circuit is less than any individual resistance.

4. How does equivalent resistance affect overall circuit performance?

The equivalent resistance of a circuit affects the amount of current flowing through the circuit. A higher equivalent resistance means less current will flow, and a lower equivalent resistance means more current will flow. It also affects the voltage drop across each resistor in the circuit.

5. Can equivalent resistance be greater than the sum of individual resistances?

Yes, in some cases, the equivalent resistance can be greater than the sum of individual resistances. This can happen in circuits with a combination of series and parallel resistors. The equivalent resistance will always be equal to or greater than the highest individual resistance in the circuit.