Equivalent conditions for a measurability restriction?

In summary: For example, if we take the union of all partitions of T that make a function measurable, then it must be that every function on that union is measurable, so retracting any function from that union would make it not measurable. But I'm not sure if this is a precise statement or not.In summary, under the product topology, Z is a compact metrizable space.
economicsnerd
Let [itex]Z:= A^T[/itex], where [itex]T[/itex] is a countable set and [itex]A[/itex] is a finite set. Under the product topology, [itex]Z[/itex] is a compact metrizable space. (As a special case, notice that [itex]Z[/itex] could be the Cantor set).

Given a closed set [itex]X \subseteq Z[/itex], I'm interested in answering the question, "Does there exist some partition [itex]\mathcal P[/itex] of [itex]T[/itex] such that [itex]X = \{f \in Z: \enspace f \text{ is } \mathcal P\text{-measurable}\}[/itex]?"

Is anybody here aware of any alternative formulations of the above question? For example, is there a topological characterization?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with measurable with respect to a partition?

micromass said:
What do you mean with measurable with respect to a partition?

Sorry, I could have been clearer...

I meant measurable functions [tex](T, \Sigma)\to (A, 2^A),[/tex] where [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is the [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra generated by [itex]\mathcal P[/itex].

Given a single function ##f##, this is a closed set ##\{f\}##. Clearly the coarsest ##\sigma##-algebra that makes ##f## measurable is

[tex]\sigma(f) := \{f^{-1}(E)~\vert~E\subseteq A\}[/tex]

This is clearly generated by the partition ##\{f^{-1}(a)~\vert~a\in A\}##.
But any function constant on the partition is also measurable. In particular, the globally constant functions are measurable. So there is no ##\sigma##-algebra which only makes ##f## measurable. So the answer is negative because it fails for ##\{f\}##.

Right. So (given nontrivial [itex]A[/itex]) it's not true for singleton [itex]X[/itex], and therefore not true for arbitrary closed [itex]X.[/itex]

What I'm after is a proposition of the form:

[itex]``[/itex]Given a closed set [itex]X \subseteq Z[/itex]:

[tex] \Phi(X) \iff \exists\mathcal P\text{ such that } X = \{f \in Z: \enspace f \text{ is } \mathcal P\text{-measurable}\} \text{''}[/tex]
where [itex]\Phi(X)[/itex] is some other axiom about [itex]X[/itex], possibly some topological statement.

Said differently, I'm wondering what statements are true of members of [tex]\bigg\{ \{f \in Z: \enspace f \text{ is } \mathcal P\text{-measurable}\}: \enspace \mathcal P \text{ partition of } T\bigg\}[/tex] and fail for every other closed subset of [itex]Z[/itex].

Again, apologies for any lack of clarity (and for being long-winded).

I have some vague notion that there's an equivalent condition involving retractions.

Related to Equivalent conditions for a measurability restriction?

1. What is a measurability restriction?

A measurability restriction is a condition that specifies that a certain set of values or events must be measurable in order for a scientific study or experiment to be valid. This means that they must be able to be observed, quantified, and analyzed through a reliable and consistent method.

2. Why are measurability restrictions important in scientific research?

Measurability restrictions are important because they ensure that the data collected in a study is reliable and accurate. Without these restrictions, the results may be affected by external factors or biases, making them less valid and trustworthy.

3. What are some examples of measurability restrictions?

Some examples of measurability restrictions include using standardized measurements and methods, ensuring that the variables being studied are clearly defined and measurable, and controlling for confounding variables that could affect the results.

4. How do researchers ensure that their study meets the necessary measurability restrictions?

To ensure that their study meets the necessary measurability restrictions, researchers must carefully design their study, clearly define their variables and methods, and use reliable and valid instruments and tools for data collection and analysis.

5. What are some challenges that researchers face when dealing with measurability restrictions?

Some challenges that researchers may face when dealing with measurability restrictions include the difficulty of accurately measuring complex or abstract concepts, the potential for bias in data collection and analysis, and the limitations of available measurement tools and methods.