Equivalence Principle Explained - What is it?

In summary, according to the equivalence principle, if you are in free fall in a gravitational potential, then distant observers would be able to tell the difference. However, if you are in free fall within a tank of a gas which is free-falling with you, then you won't see any effect.
cragar
The Equivalence principle says or at least this is what i learned , Is that being in free-fall is the same as being out in space , But in free fall if you shined a laser up it would get Doppler shifted and gravitationally red shifted but out in space it would not . Or do i have something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equivalence principle says that in a local region around you (the "laboratory") you cannot perform an experiment that tells you whether you are in outer space or free fall in a gravitational potential. Far away from your laboratory others can certainly determine a difference. Those others would be the ones measuring your Doppler shift and gravitational shifts or lack thereof.

You with your laser would not be able to tell which was the case.

Last edited:
how local are we talking , because let's say I had some gas of neon or whatever and then I was shining my laser at , but I had the frequency specific enough to where if it was red shifted it would not absorb the photon. But now that i think about it when the photon is red-shifted from my falling elevator , the neon gas is moving towards the light so the blue-shift would cancel the redshift . But then we still have the gravitational red-shift but from the time the light was emitted the elevator has picked up speed so the increased speed might cancel the gravitational red-shift.

If the free fall is in a uniform gravitational field, then, there will be no red shift according to the freely falling observer.

so it has to be in a uniform field. Like falling towards Earth would no work , what about the Doppler shift .

You need to be more specific about your thought experiment. If you are in free-fall within a tank of the gas which is free-falling with you then you won't see any effect.

If you are free falling through the gas then the gas is not in free fall (it is kept from it via a pressure gradient like we have in our own atmosphere) and the EP implies you'd see the same light interaction as if you were in space within a wind tunnel which was accelerating the gas.

Remember to apply the EP you must speak of nearby gas interactions. There are still tidal effects which distinguish falling a central gravitational potential vs floating in free space.

Finally also remember that the equivalence principle is used in GR when deriving the gravitational red & blue shifts so they will be consistent with it (if GR is correct).

Ok if i was in free-fall , The gravitational field would be slightly stronger at my feet than at my head . So if i have to atomic clocks one at my feet and one at my head and i am in free-fall the clocks would get a little bit out of sync . Or is this not ok to use special consequences of GR to disprove the EP.

cragar said:
Ok if i was in free-fall , The gravitational field would be slightly stronger at my feet than at my head . So if i have to atomic clocks one at my feet and one at my head and i am in free-fall the clocks would get a little bit out of sync . Or is this not ok to use special consequences of GR to disprove the EP.

This is what is referred to as "tidal effects". The gravitational field you are describing is non-uniform.

ok so it has to be uniform to apply the EP.
thanks for all of your guys responses by the way.

Related to Equivalence Principle Explained - What is it?

1. What is the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle is a concept in physics that states that the effects of gravity cannot be distinguished from the effects of acceleration. This means that an observer in a closed box cannot tell if they are being pulled by a gravitational force or if the box is accelerating in the absence of gravity.

2. Who proposed the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity in 1915. He used this principle to explain the relationship between gravity and acceleration.

3. What is the significance of the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle is significant because it helps us understand the nature of gravity and its effects on objects in the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the development of theories such as general relativity and the concept of space-time.

4. How does the Equivalence Principle explain the bending of light?

The Equivalence Principle explains the bending of light by stating that mass and energy can cause a curvature in space-time. This means that when light travels near an object with a large mass, such as a star, its path will be bent due to the curvature of space-time caused by the object's mass.

5. Is the Equivalence Principle proven?

The Equivalence Principle has been extensively tested and has been confirmed to be true in many experiments. However, it is still considered a principle and not a proven law of nature. It is still being researched and studied in the field of physics.