Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Equivalence of the following two terms

Mharris

Jan 8, 2018
how is \$j\beta =\beta j\$ is equivalent to \$\beta^*+\beta\$ being multiple of identity?

A vector field $X$ is said to be conformal if $L_Xj=0$ where j is the almost complex structure. The conformality condition is equivalent to $j\beta =\beta j$. Where $\beta : ker(\theta) \mapsto ker(\theta)$ such that $\beta(u)= \nabla_uX$ and $\theta$ is contact form such that $\theta(X)=1$. \\
my question is how can i see that $j\beta =\beta j$ is equivalent to $\beta^*+\beta$ being a multiple of the identity? \\
What are the conditions so that i can see $ j=\beta-\beta^*$?

Last edited:

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Welcome, Mharris ! (Wave)

Is your vector field defined on a Kählerian manifold?

Mharris

Jan 8, 2018
. X is the Reeb vextor field on a contact manifold.

Mharris

Jan 8, 2018
Can someone give me some hint or idea please

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Re: how is \$j\beta =\beta j\$ is equivalent to \$\beta^*+\beta\$ being multiple of identity?

You should clearly define or describe all terms (e.g. $\theta$, $\beta^*$, etc.) in order to receive assistance. Problems of contact geometry require careful analysis.

Mharris

Jan 8, 2018
Re: how is \$j\beta =\beta j\$ is equivalent to \$\beta^*+\beta\$ being multiple of identity?

You should clearly define or describe all terms (e.g. $\theta$, $\beta^*$, etc.) in order to receive assistance. Problems of contact geometry require careful analysis.
$\theta$ is the contact form defined as $\theta=g(X,-)$. Where $g$ is the Riemanian metric on the manifold M and X is the Reeb vector field. $\beta^*$ is the adjoint of the map $\beta : ker(\theta) \mapsto ker(\theta)$ defined as $ \beta(u)= \nabla_uX$ and $g(\beta(Y),Z)=g(\beta^*(Z),Y)$.

Last edited:

Mharris

Jan 8, 2018
Any help or hint please

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
MHarris, please do not bump the thread. First suppose the contact manifold has dimension 3. In this case, the hyperplane field $\operatorname{ker}(\theta)$ is spanned by two vector fields, the commutator of which is not in the hyperplane. Consider the action of $\beta$ and $\beta^*$ on the two basis elements and see what you get. Also, why does $\theta = g(X,\cdot)$? For $X$ to be a Reeb vector field, it simply must satisfy the equations $d\theta(X,\cdot) = 0$ and $\theta(X) = 1$. In local coordinates, you can express $\theta = dz + x\, dy$.

Sorry I won’t have time to go into great detail. I’m very busy this week.