Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time?

In summary: I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for.In summary, I don't know if space time can be equated with matter, energy, or space. It may be that energy can convert into space-time and vice versa, but I don't know for sure.
WCOLtd
This is probably a stupid question, but is there an equivalence between matter, energy and space time? Like for instance if you had a ball of 1 kilogram, could you convert it into volumetric space and have everything around it be further away? When two or more objects are going further away from one another, how do you know whether they are being repelled by one another in mutual Newtonian fashion and not that the space between them is like a growing entity?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an interesting question actually. Unfortunately I have no idea, but I would like to hear the opinion of people with more knowledge about this.
Is it not Dark Energy (silly name) that is said to be cause behind the expansion of space? You'd might think any energy could contribute to this, for example the energy stored in the 1-kilogram ball.

In geometrized units mass has the same units as distance. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for.
WCOLtd said:
how do you know whether they are being repelled by one another in mutual Newtonian fashion and not that the space between them is like a growing entity?
What do you mean by "repelled in mutual Newtonian fashion"?

Beenigma said:
Is it not Dark Energy (silly name) that is said to be cause behind the expansion of space?

No. It is only said to be the cause behind the acceleration of the expansion of space. Without dark energy, the expansion would be decelerating, not accelerating, because of the mutual gravity of the ordinary matter and energy in the universe.

Likes WCOLtd
DaleSpam said:
In geometrized units mass has the same units as distance. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for.
Do you mean inverse distance? With ##\hbar = c = 1##, mass, energy, inverse time and inverse distance have the same unit.

There are certainly ways of associating a certain volume with a certain energy, but I doubt that any of these has too much significance. There are several choices to choose from. You can associate mass with length using the Schwarzschild radius.
You can associate energy with the volume that contains that amount of dark energy, since dark energy is thought to be proportional to volume.
You can use geometrized units as above (which might give the same result as the schwarzschild radius).

mfb said:
Do you mean inverse distance? With ##\hbar = c = 1##, mass, energy, inverse time and inverse distance have the same unit.
The geometrized units start with G=c=1. With that the mass is a distance equal to 1/2 the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole of that mass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometrized_unit_system

Ah, okay. I was thinking of particle physics, but that has a different convention.

DaleSpam said:
In geometrized units mass has the same units as distance. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for. What do you mean by "repelled in mutual Newtonian fashion"?

What I mean is the interpretation that objects are moving away from each other due to a force, instead of seeing the distance between them as an entity that is growing. I suppose it doesn't matter how you interpret it, but if the distinction could be made how would you know a motion is the result of a force and not of the change in volumetric space time. I am risking violating the crackpottery rule, but what if you saw distance or better yet volumetric space as an entity onto itself capable of flux and somehow equivocated to both matter and energy. My goal is not to say that is the way it is, but to suppose it as a possibility. Maybe energy can convert into space-time and vice versa. Is there some reason this can't be the case?

WCOLtd said:
but if the distinction could be made how would you know a motion is the result of a force and not of the change in volumetric space time.
Simple: Other objects nearby are not moving away from each other. Also, you cannot just "insert new space[time]" somewhere, in general it would not fit.

WCOLtd said:
Maybe energy can convert into space-time and vice versa.

Spacetime doesn't work this way in classical GR. You don't have some spacetime, and then wait a while and have some more. Spacetime is the entire 4-D geometry describing the entire history of the universe; "how much" of it there is does not change, because any "change" that happens in the history of the universe is just a geometric feature of the 4-D geometry, which doesn't "change", it just is.

What energy (actually stress-energy, which includes mass, energy, momentum, pressure, and other stresses) does is determine the curvature of the spacetime geometry. But it doesn't do this by "adding spacetime" in some places; it just determines the curvature of the 4-D geometry, which, again, doesn't change, it just is.

There are various attempts to try to model spacetime as an emergent phenomenon with something simpler underlying it (the various candidates for a theory of quantum gravity). But those models go beyond classical GR (and you'll find plenty of discussion of them in the sub-forums of PF that are more focused on quantum gravity).

No, mass and energy is something and space and time is something else

With that, I think this thread is done.

Likes WCOLtd

Related to Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time?

1. What is the concept of Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time?

The concept of Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time is a fundamental principle in physics that explains the relationship between matter, energy, and space-time. It states that matter and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into one another, and that space and time are not separate entities but are interconnected and influenced by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How was the concept of Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time discovered?

The concept of Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity, which he published in 1915. This theory revolutionized our understanding of the universe and provided a new framework for explaining the behavior of matter, energy, and space-time.

3. What evidence supports the Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time?

One of the key pieces of evidence supporting the Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time is the famous E=mc² equation, which shows the relationship between energy and mass. This equation has been confirmed through numerous experiments, including nuclear reactions and particle accelerators. Additionally, observations of gravitational lensing and the bending of light by massive objects also support the concept of space-time being affected by the presence of matter and energy.

4. How does the Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time impact our understanding of the universe?

The Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe. It has allowed us to explain and predict phenomena such as the behavior of stars and galaxies, the formation of black holes, and the expansion of the universe. It has also led to the development of technologies such as nuclear power and GPS systems.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time?

Yes, there are several practical applications of the Equivalence of Matter Energy and Space-Time. As mentioned before, it has led to the development of nuclear power and GPS systems. It has also been used in medical imaging technology, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, which rely on the conversion of matter and energy to produce images of the human body. Additionally, the concept has been applied in the development of space travel and exploration, as it helps us understand the effects of gravity on spacecraft and astronauts.