Equivalence Classes in Physics: Tutorial Papers & Relationship to Units

In summary, there are papers on equivalence classes with regards to theories of physics, but they are very basic and do not go into depth about the relationship between the theories.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Are there any good, preferably tutorial, papers on equivalence classes with regards to theories of physics, and how they relate to units?

Specifically, I'm looking for something that discusses that if you formulate the laws of physics in feet, then convert the units to inches, you haven't changed any observable aspects of the theory, that the laws of physics expressed in "inches" are equivalent to the laws of physics expressed in feet.

Very basic stuff, but I see confusion on this topic all the time,usually related to the issue of varrying fundamental constants.

(On the topic of varying constants - We have Duff proposing similar ideas, but his explanations aren't particularly to those who don't already grasp the point of equialence classes, and I think there are some problems in general with his presentation, as a lot of people seem fit to disagree with some of what he says in the literature).

Ideally, such a paper would go on to explain that the equivalence class relationship is a mathematical one, and that it applies irrespective of whether you call an inch and inch, or whether you call an inch a foot, i.e. that the point is that the theories themselves are mathematically equivalent, regardless of how you name things.

But I'll take whatever I can find at this point...

Physics news on Phys.org
Two ideas which I don't know are right or wrong:

1. The only things in a continuum theory that we can measure are diffeomorphism invariant scalars.

2. The fundamental constants cannot change, unless we have a theory in which those constant are not fundamental.

As an example to start discussion, consider the Boltzmann entropy versus the Shannon mutual information in the case where p(x) is a probability density?

I recall that entropy can be considered to be defined either by the theromdynamic defintion [itex]\Delta S = \Delta Q / T[/itex] or by the statistical mechanics defintion
(k * ln(number of states), but I don't recall the details of how the two defintions were connected anymore. Which I suspect is related to the point you were making, but I'm not quite sure I understand it.

I was thinking of the statistical definition of entropy.

There's no problem with entropy in the discrete case. In the continuous case, the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_entropy" is. I assume change of units is a sort of change in coordinates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Equivalence Classes in Physics: Tutorial Papers & Relationship to Units

1. What are equivalence classes in physics?

Equivalence classes in physics refer to a grouping of physical quantities that have the same numerical value, but may have different units of measurement.

2. Why are equivalence classes important in physics?

Equivalence classes allow us to compare and analyze different physical quantities that have the same numerical value, regardless of their units. This is essential for making accurate and meaningful measurements in physics.

3. How are equivalence classes related to units?

Equivalence classes are closely related to units because they are based on the idea that different units can represent the same physical quantity. By grouping these quantities into equivalence classes, we can better understand their relationships and use the appropriate units for our calculations.

4. What are some examples of equivalence classes in physics?

Some examples of equivalence classes in physics include different units of measurement for length (such as meters, feet, or inches), mass (such as kilograms, pounds, or grams), and time (such as seconds, minutes, or hours).

5. How can one use equivalence classes in physics?

Equivalence classes can be used in a variety of ways in physics, such as converting between units, simplifying calculations, and understanding relationships between different physical quantities. They can also be helpful in solving complex problems and making accurate measurements.