Really need some help on Quadratic Formula's ect

• Thread starter travishillier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, Markita has 100m of fencing to fence a rectangular plot of land with an area of 500m^2. The fence will be along three sides, with the lake forming the fourth side. To find the dimensions of the plot, we can use the formulas for area and perimeter of a rectangle. By setting up a system of equations, we can solve for the length and width in terms of one variable. This will lead to a quadratic equation, which can be solved to find the dimensions of the plot to the nearest tenth of a metre. Additionally, the maximum area that the fence can enclose can also be determined using this method.
travishillier
Really need some help on Quadratic Formula's ect ...

Heres the question ... your help is greatly needed and appreciated ...

Markita wants to fence a rectangular plot of land along side the shore of a lake. Only 3 sides must be fenced, since the lake will form teh lake will form teh fourth side. Markita had 100m of fencing, and she wants the plot of land to have an area of 500m^2 (squared). Find teh dimensions of the plot of land, to the nearest tenth of a metre. Expalin and justify your solution.

Theres thequestion , lmk what u can do to help me out ... Thx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let the length of the fence be L and the width be w.

Can you find an equation relating area to L and w?

Can you find an equation relating perimeter to L and w?

Can you solve this system of equations?

cookiemonster

Hey ... i ahve absolutley no idea how to even start this question, we have a test on a question like this tomrow and thought i coem here to get teh proper format ect basically looking for teh compltete answer so if u can help me on that i woudl greatly aprreacite it.

I just told you how to start the question. If you're not willing to put in effort to attempt to solve it, then looking at the answer isn't going to help you on the test anyway.

cookiemonster

furhtermore... Whats the maximum area that this fence can enclose? :P give it some thought.

What are the formulas for area and perimeter of a rectangle ? Use the area formula to write the length(L) in terms of the breadth(W). So now, your length and breadth are written in terms of just one variable. How is the total length of the fence related to the length and breadth. Write this down and subtitute from your previous result. That should give you an equation with terms where the variable is sometimes in the numerator and sometimes in the denominator. Multiply thoughout by the variable to remove it from the denominator. You now have a quadratic equation. Solve this in the required manner.

1. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical formula used to solve quadratic equations, which are equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.

2. When should I use the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula should be used when you need to solve a quadratic equation and cannot easily factor it. It is a reliable method for finding the roots (or solutions) of a quadratic equation.

3. How do I apply the quadratic formula?

To apply the quadratic formula, you first need to write your equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Then, you can plug in the values of a, b, and c into the formula and solve for x.

4. Can the quadratic formula be used for any quadratic equation?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used for any quadratic equation. It is a universal method for solving these types of equations, regardless of the values of a, b, and c.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the quadratic formula?

One common mistake when using the quadratic formula is forgetting to apply the order of operations. Make sure to follow the correct order (PEMDAS) when solving the equation. Another mistake is forgetting to include the ± sign when taking the square root in the formula. Finally, be careful with negative numbers and pay attention to the signs when plugging in values.