Equivalence Between NFA and DFA: Q, Q` & $\Sigma$

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence between a NFA and a DFA and the sufficient and necessary conditions for a transition to occur. It is described in the books mentioned that for $Q_i \overset{a}{\rightarrow}Q_j$ to happen, $Q_j$ must be the union of all states that can be reached from $Q_i$ by following 0 or more $\varepsilon$ arrows. The conversation ends with a smile and a thank you.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Heloo! :eek:

I am looking at the equivalence between a NFA and a DFA.

NFA: Q={q1,q2}
DFA: Q`=P(Q}

When $a\in \Sigma, Q_I, Q_j \in Q`$ which is sufficient and necessary condition so that $ Q_I \overset{a}{\rightarrow}Q_j$?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
When $a\in \Sigma, Q_I, Q_j \in Q`$ which is sufficient and necessary condition so that $ Q_I \overset{a}{\rightarrow}Q_j$?
This is described in the books we talked about. Namely, if $R\in Q'$, i.e., $R\subseteq Q$, let
\[
E(R)=\{q\in Q\mid q\text{ can be reached from }R\text{ by 0 or more }\varepsilon\text{ arrows}\}.
\]
Then $Q_i \overset{a}{\rightarrow}Q_j$ iff \(\displaystyle Q_j=\bigcup_{q\in Q_i}E(\delta(q,a))\). In other words,
\[
Q_j=\{s\in Q\mid q\overset{a}{\to}r\overset{\varepsilon}{\to}\!\!^*s\text{ for some }q\in Q_i\}.
\]
Here $r\overset{\varepsilon}{\to}\!\!^*s$ means that $s$ can be reached from r by 0 or more $\varepsilon$ arrows.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
This is described in the books we talked about. Namely, if $R\in Q'$, i.e., $R\subseteq Q$, let
\[
E(R)=\{q\in Q\mid q\text{ can be reached from }R\text{ by 0 or more }\varepsilon\text{ arrows}\}.
\]
Then $Q_i \overset{a}{\rightarrow}Q_j$ iff \(\displaystyle Q_j=\bigcup_{q\in Q_i}E(\delta(q,a))\). In other words,
\[
Q_j=\{s\in Q\mid q\overset{a}{\to}r\overset{\varepsilon}{\to}\!\!^*s\text{ for some }q\in Q_i\}.
\]
Here $r\overset{\varepsilon}{\to}\!\!^*s$ means that $s$ can be reached from r by 0 or more $\varepsilon$ arrows.

Ok... Thanks a lot! (Smile)

Related to Equivalence Between NFA and DFA: Q, Q` & $\Sigma$

1. What is the difference between NFA and DFA?

The main difference between NFA (Nondeterministic Finite Automaton) and DFA (Deterministic Finite Automaton) is that NFA can have multiple possible next states for a given input while DFA only has one next state for a given input. This makes NFA more powerful, but also more complex to construct and analyze.

2. How can we convert an NFA to a DFA?

To convert an NFA to a DFA, we need to determine all possible states of the DFA based on the states and transitions of the NFA. This can be done using the subset construction method, where each state of the DFA is a combination of multiple states of the NFA. We also need to keep track of the final states of the NFA and determine the final states of the DFA based on those. The resulting DFA will accept the same language as the original NFA.

3. What are Q, Q', and Σ in the context of equivalence between NFA and DFA?

Q represents the set of states in both NFA and DFA, while Q' represents the set of states in the resulting DFA after converting an NFA. Σ represents the input alphabet, which contains all the symbols that can be read by the automaton.

4. How do we prove equivalence between NFA and DFA?

To prove equivalence between NFA and DFA, we need to show that both automata accept the same language. This can be done by constructing an NFA and a DFA that accept the same language and then showing that for any given input, both automata reach the same final state. Alternatively, we can also show that an NFA can be converted to an equivalent DFA using the subset construction method.

5. Are there any limitations to the equivalence between NFA and DFA?

Yes, there are some limitations to the equivalence between NFA and DFA. While both automata can accept the same language, the NFA may have a smaller number of states and transitions compared to the equivalent DFA. Additionally, some complex languages may require a large number of states in the DFA, making it difficult to construct and analyze.