Equipotential Surfaces: Calculating Work Required to Move a Charge

In summary, the conversation discusses equipotential surfaces and the calculation of work required to move a charge from one point to another. The correct calculation is provided, with the correction of a negative sign due to the work being done by the charge.
daimoku
[SOLVED] Equipotential surfaces

Homework Statement

http://personalpages.tds.net/~locowise/test/equipot1.jpg
Fig. 1 -- Some equipotential surfaces

In the figure above, you see a set of equipotentials representing an electric field in the region and some labeled points (A..G).

What is the work required by you to move a 3.4 x 10^-6 C charge from E to F?

We know k=8.99*10^9 N*m^2/C^2

Homework Equations

r = kq/v
Work = force * displacement
V2-V1=-Welec/q

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculated Re to be 196.81m and Rf to be 305.66m. <---not sure if this is necessary
Vf-Ve=-80V

-80V=-Welec/(3.4*10^-6C)
Welec comes out to be 2.72*10-4 J

Could someone point out where I made a mistake or even if I used the correct method? Many thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
daimoku said:
Calculated Re to be 196.81m and Rf to be 305.66m. <---not sure if this is necessary
What is this? Looks like you are trying to find the radii of the two equipotential surfaces. Do they look spherical?
Vf-Ve=-80V

-80V=-Welec/(3.4*10^-6C)
Welec comes out to be 2.72*10-4 J

Could someone point out where I made a mistake or even if I used the correct method? Many thanks for your help!

The answer looks correct, except that it should have negative sign, since the work is being done by the charge.

Thanks alot! You were correct-o-mundo on the negative sign!

The question is the work done BY ME, and NOT by the electric field. The work done by the electric field is positive as the force and displacement are in the same direction (since the charge moves from a point of higher to lower potential). Since the work is done by moving the charge without acceleration, the force given by me on the charge has to be equal and opposite to the force of the electric field on the charge. Hence the work done by me is negative.

Related to Equipotential Surfaces: Calculating Work Required to Move a Charge

1. What are equipotential surfaces?

Equipotential surfaces are imaginary surfaces in a three-dimensional space where all points have the same electric potential. This means that no work is required to move a charge from one point to another on the surface.

2. How are equipotential surfaces related to electric potential?

Equipotential surfaces are directly related to electric potential. The electric potential at any point on an equipotential surface is constant and equal to the potential difference between two points on that surface is zero.

3. What is the significance of equipotential surfaces?

Equipotential surfaces are significant because they help visualize the electric field in a given region. They are also useful in determining the direction and strength of the electric field, as the field lines are always perpendicular to the equipotential surfaces.

4. How are equipotential surfaces formed?

Equipotential surfaces are formed by connecting points with the same electric potential in a given region. In a uniform electric field, the equipotential surfaces are evenly spaced, while in a non-uniform field, they are closer together in areas with a higher electric potential.

5. Do equipotential surfaces always intersect?

No, equipotential surfaces do not always intersect. In a uniform electric field, the equipotential surfaces are parallel and do not intersect. In a non-uniform field, they may intersect at certain points, but this is not always the case.