Equipotential Lines and Electric Fields Labratory Experiment

In summary, I am not sure what q is or what you mean by along equipotential curves, but along any curves, delta-V should be equal.
llauren84

Homework Statement

Our lab is not online, but this is so similar to what we did. http://physics.fullerton.edu/~SAM/PDF/Lab%20Manuals/212/Individual%20Experiments/Equipotential%20Surfaces%20E6.pdf" Instead of the ten that they set their voltage to, we set ours to 12.

Homework Equations

Eq. 1: E=Fq , where E and F are vectors, E is the electric field, F is the force on the charge, and q is the small positive test charge.
Eq. 2: [tex]\Delta[/tex]V = Ed, where [tex]\Delta[/tex]V is the potential difference, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance between potentials.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so confused and unfortunately, I can't ask the professor at this time. I have a few questions.
(1) I am not sure what q is exactly. Is that the number that the multimeter reads or is it the number 12 that we set our voltage to?
(2) How can I calculate [tex]\Delta[/tex]V?
(3) Do you think I should be doing different calculations for points on different equipotential lines if the q is the readout from the multimeter at those points or along the curve?

Basically, I just have no idea what to calculate. I am so used to charts as our data and I'm having a hard time taking the info from the curves that we drew to actual calculations.

Please help. Thanks so much. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
llauren84 said:
I am so confused and unfortunately, I can't ask the professor at this time. I have a few questions.
(1) I am not sure what q is exactly. Is that the number that the multimeter reads or is it the number 12 that we set our voltage to?
(2) How can I calculate [tex]\Delta[/tex]V?
(3) Do you think I should be doing different calculations for points on different equipotential lines if the q is the readout from the multimeter at those points or along the curve?

Basically, I just have no idea what to calculate. I am so used to charts as our data and I'm having a hard time taking the info from the curves that we drew to actual calculations.

Please help. Thanks so much. :confused:

(1) You don't know q, and don't need to worry about it.
(2) You measure it with a voltmeter.
(3) I'm not sure what you mean here. Along any equipotential curves, delta-V should be equal. You can approximate the electric field by measuring the distance between two equipotential curves and using the formula V=Ed; I think this is what the lab wants you to do.

llauren84 said:
Eq. 1: E=Fq , where E and F are vectors, E is the electric field, F is the force on the charge, and q is the small positive test charge.

Not E=Fq, but F=qE.

mikelepore said:
Not E=Fq, but F=qE.
Thank you =)

ideasrule said:
(2) You measure it with a voltmeter.
So the multimeter readout is the [tex]\Delta[/tex]V?

Related to Equipotential Lines and Electric Fields Labratory Experiment

1. What is the purpose of the Equipotential Lines and Electric Fields Laboratory Experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the behavior of electric fields and equipotential lines, and to understand their relationship in a three-dimensional space.

2. What materials are needed for this laboratory experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a power supply, conducting wire, a set of electrodes, a voltmeter, and a conducting medium such as saltwater or conducting gel.

3. How is the experiment set up?

The experiment is set up by placing the electrodes in the conducting medium, and connecting them to the power supply and voltmeter. The electrodes are then moved to different positions to create different electric field patterns.

4. What are equipotential lines?

Equipotential lines are imaginary lines that show points in a space that have the same electric potential. They are always perpendicular to electric field lines and indicate areas of equal electric potential.

5. What can be learned from this experiment?

This experiment can help us understand the concept of electric fields and their relationship with equipotential lines. It can also demonstrate how the strength and direction of an electric field can be affected by the arrangement of electrodes and the conducting medium.