Equipotential Field line equation derivation

In summary: This gives us:Tr1^2 + 2Tbr1 = (I1 + I2) - Tb^2Now, we can factor out r1 on the left side to get:r1(Tr1 + 2Tb) = (I1 + I2) - Tb^2And finally, we can divide both sides by (Tr1 + 2Tb) to isolate r1 on one side:r1 = [(I1 + I2) - Tb^2] / (Tr1 + 2Tb)And there you have it! This is the equation for r1 that will give you a target intensity T. I hope this explanation was helpful
counterphit
Hello,

This is not a homework question! I am simply trying to understand for my own amusement. A while back I synched Solidworks and Excel, and am using this to create 3d models of different things such as dipoles for visual interpretation.

So in doing this I needed to find potential field lines of two point particles in dipole arrangement. At any point where the two radii of the particles in question plus the distance between them form a triangle, the problem was easy. However when the point in question (target) lies in line with both (as the area of the triangle approaches zero) trig is no longer an option. now it is the difference between two inverse square functions.
[itex]\frac{I1}{r1^2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{I2}{r2^2}[/itex]

being, initial intensity 1 over r1 squared, and initial intensity two over r2 squared.

I am looking for a target intensity (T) giving me the equation

T=[itex]\frac{I1}{r1^2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{I2}{r2^2}[/itex]

the distance between the two particles (B for base of triangle) has the folowing relationship with the two radii

B=r2-r1 or in other words, the line segment B plus the line segment r1 equal r2

Therefore we can subsittute r2=r1+b into the previous equation to solve for r1

T=[itex]\frac{I1}{r1^2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{I2}{(r1+b)^2}[/itex]

which factors out to

T=[itex]\frac{I1}{r1^2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{I2}{r1^2 + 2br1+b^2}[/itex]

Known:

I1 - initial intensity 1
I2 - initial intensity 2
B - base, or distance between point particles
T - target intensity

Now I have had the damnedest time trying to solve this equation in a single shot. I have not worked on math in years and am having a fantastic time learning from scratch once again. If someone would be so kind as to walk me through how to solve this problem i would be forever grateful. I know I can take both initial intensities and set them to the same potential with reversed sign, but I would like to keep the formula flexible. I would love to know what to do with the meeting of two quadratic equations, so the final answer would be nice, but the logical progression of steps would be above and beyond!

Thanks a ton in advance!

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you are working on a fascinating project using Solidworks and Excel to create 3D models of dipole arrangements. I am not an expert in this field, but I will do my best to explain the steps for solving the equation you have provided.

First, let's rewrite the equation to make it a bit simpler:

T = I1/r1^2 + I2/(r1^2 + 2br1 + b^2)

To solve this equation, we need to find the value of r1 that will make T equal to a given target intensity. This is known as solving for a variable. In this case, the variable we are solving for is r1.

To solve for r1, we need to isolate it on one side of the equation. Let's start by subtracting T from both sides of the equation:

T - T = I1/r1^2 + I2/(r1^2 + 2br1 + b^2) - T

On the left side, T - T equals zero, so we are left with:

0 = I1/r1^2 + I2/(r1^2 + 2br1 + b^2) - T

Next, let's combine the two fractions on the right side into a single fraction by finding a common denominator. The common denominator in this case is r1^2 + 2br1 + b^2. To add fractions with the same denominator, we simply add the numerators together and keep the denominator the same. This gives us:

0 = (I1 + I2)/ (r1^2 + 2br1 + b^2) - T

Now, let's multiply both sides of the equation by (r1^2 + 2br1 + b^2) to get rid of the fraction on the right side:

0 = (I1 + I2) - T(r1^2 + 2br1 + b^2)

We are getting closer! Next, we need to expand the parentheses on the right side of the equation by distributing T to each term inside the parentheses. This gives us:

0 = (I1 + I2) - Tr1^2 - 2Tbr1 - Tb^2

Finally, let's move all the terms with r1 to one side of the equation and all the constant terms

Related to Equipotential Field line equation derivation

1. What is an equipotential field line equation?

An equipotential field line equation is a mathematical expression that represents the relationship between the electric potential, distance, and charge distribution in an electric field. It helps to visualize and understand the strength and direction of electric fields.

2. How is the equipotential field line equation derived?

The equipotential field line equation is derived from the fundamental principles of electrostatics, specifically Coulomb's law and the definition of electric potential. By integrating these principles, we can derive the equation for the electric potential at any point in an electric field.

3. What is the significance of equipotential field lines?

Equipotential field lines are significant because they represent the points in an electric field where the electric potential is constant. They are perpendicular to the electric field lines and help to visualize the direction and strength of the electric field. They also provide a way to calculate the work done by the electric field on a charged particle.

4. Can you use the equipotential field line equation to calculate the electric field at a point?

No, the equipotential field line equation does not directly provide information about the electric field at a point. However, by calculating the gradient of the electric potential, the electric field at a point can be determined.

5. How does the equipotential field line equation relate to conductors?

Conductors are materials that have free electrons that can move easily. In the presence of an electric field, these electrons will distribute themselves on the surface of the conductor such that the electric potential is constant throughout the surface. This results in equipotential field lines being perpendicular to the surface of the conductor.