Can You Calculate the Probability of an Event in a Dependent Outcome Scenario?

• Thread starter Astro since 73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the possible outcomes of an incident (I) and the probabilities associated with each outcome. The question is whether it is appropriate to multiply the probabilities of separate events occurring, or if it is better to consider the overall outcomes. The conclusion is that in this case, it is more accurate to simply divide one outcome from the total to determine the probability.
Astro since 73
Statistics question...

This may be very elementary to some of you folks so bear with me. I just found your site today and wanted to pose a question that has bothered me for a couple of years. I never took statistics in college so I'm sure that explains why.

Anyway...

If you are given Incident (I) and are told that there can be two possible outcomes to this incident (a) and (b).

Then you are told that if (a), there are two possible outcomes (c) and (d)

Then you are told that for every 100 occurrences of (I), a = 90 and b = 10

and for a = 90, c = 86 and d = 4

First of all I know that it is correct to say that a = 90% of I

it is also correct to say that c = 95.5% of a

What I wasnt to know is... since c is dependent on a, is it alright to say that c is 86% of I since c could not occur without a occurring first?

someone told me you could multiply the percentages 90% * 95.5% and that would be 85.9%. Is that allowable? Is that the correct way to describe probability?

If my problems statement is too obscure, please tell me and I will restate it a different way. I just wanted to do it 'generically'.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Usually, probabilities are taken in terms of decimals (0 to 1) or fractions instead of percentages.

When you are taking the probabilities of separate events BOTH happening, then you multiply the probabilities.

However, in this case it is better to just consider the overall outcomes, as you have done. Ie. in this case, we have 3 outcomes (b) (c) and (d), and then we can divide one from the total.

To answer your question, yes, it is correct to say that c is 86% of I since c is dependent on a. This is because c cannot occur without a occurring first, as you mentioned. Multiplying the percentages of a and c (90% * 95.5%) is not the correct way to describe probability in this case. This is because the probability of c occurring is not solely based on the probability of a occurring, but also on the probability of b occurring. In this case, c is 86% of a, but only 8.6% of I (since b has a 10% probability). Therefore, the correct way to describe the probability of c occurring is to say that it is 8.6% of I. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of probability in this scenario.

What is statistics?

Statistics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the collection, analysis, interpretation, presentation, and organization of data. It allows us to make data-driven decisions by using various techniques and methods to understand and summarize large amounts of data.

What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and presenting data in a meaningful way, such as through graphs, charts, and numerical measures like mean and standard deviation. Inferential statistics, on the other hand, uses sample data to make predictions or generalizations about a larger population.

What are the different types of data used in statistics?

The two main types of data used in statistics are numerical (quantitative) and categorical (qualitative) data. Numerical data can be further divided into discrete data (countable) and continuous data (measurable). Categorical data can be further divided into nominal (categories with no natural order) and ordinal (categories with a natural order) data.

What is the purpose of hypothesis testing in statistics?

Hypothesis testing is used to determine whether a certain assumption or claim about a population is supported by the data. It involves formulating a null hypothesis (no difference or relationship) and an alternative hypothesis (some difference or relationship) and using statistical tests to determine which hypothesis is more likely to be true based on the data.

How do you determine the appropriate sample size for a study?

The appropriate sample size for a study depends on factors such as the population size, desired level of confidence, and margin of error. Generally, a larger sample size will provide more accurate results, but this also means more time and resources are needed. There are statistical formulas and online calculators available to help determine the appropriate sample size for a study.