Equilibrium - Scalar or Vector?

In summary: Unstable equilibrium is one where the system is in a constant state of change. Neutral equilibrium is one where the quantity being measured is in equilibrium with itself.Stable equilibrium is one where the system is in a state where the quantities being measured are in equilibrium with each other.
prashantakerkar
1 Is Equilibrium a Scalar or Vector quantity?
2 What is the unit of Equilibrium?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Physics news on Phys.org
Equilibrium isn't a quantity, it's the state of a system such that the system no longer changes. As such it is neither a vector nor a scalar and the concept of units do not apply to it.

Thanks.

I mean Equilibrium cannot be measured similar to a Force applied?

Can we have Equilibrium laws similar to Newton's laws of motion?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

prashantakerkar said:
I mean Equilibrium cannot be measured similar to a Force applied?

No.

prashantakerkar said:
Can we have Equilibrium laws similar to Newton's laws of motion?

You can have rules which tell you what quantities you need for a system to reach equilibrium, if that's what you are asking.

Thanks.

Yes. I mean Similar to Newton's three laws of motion or law of conservation of momentum or law of conservation of energy or law of inertia can we derive laws of Equilibrium?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

prashantakerkar said:
Yes. I mean Similar to Newton's three laws of motion or law of conservation of momentum or law of conservation of energy or law of inertia can we derive laws of Equilibrium?

Are you working on a science fiction story?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamic_equilibrium said:
Thermodynamic equilibrium is an axiomatic concept of thermodynamics.

Equilibrium is not a law or laws. If you read more of that Wikipedia article, you will see the kinds of things needed to make equilibrium.

prashantakerkar said:

While you can find the equilibrium for a particular system, there are no fundamental 'equilibrium laws' like there are with Newton's laws of motion and other laws in physics. Remember that equilibrium is just one particular state of a system. There are potentially an infinite number of states and you could easily ask if we can derive 'laws' for these states as well.

One interesting point of view is that the laws you are asking about are simply the fundamental physical laws that already govern everything, such as Newton's laws.

Likes Dale
prashantakerkar said:
I do not think that counting out numbered laws is a productive way to approach physics. However, in this case you might consider the three laws of thermodynamics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics.

Thank you.

Maybe Three laws of Equilibrium according to states ?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

prashantakerkar said:
There are three types of Equilibrium namely Stable, Unstable & Neutral.

Can't we derive laws of Equilibrium depending upon the three types in physics?

That is analogous to a ball sitting at the bottom of a valley, at the top of a hill, or on a flat surface. There are no special laws or equations for that. Stability is a property of an equation.

1. Is equilibrium a scalar or vector quantity?

Equilibrium is a vector quantity.

2. How is equilibrium defined in physics?

In physics, equilibrium is defined as a state of balance or rest in which there is no net change in the overall system.

3. What are the different types of equilibrium?

The different types of equilibrium are stable, unstable, and neutral equilibrium. Stable equilibrium occurs when a system returns to its original state after a small disturbance, unstable equilibrium is when a system moves away from its original state after a small disturbance, and neutral equilibrium is when a system remains in its new state after a small disturbance.

4. Can equilibrium exist in a non-physical system?

Yes, equilibrium can exist in non-physical systems such as economic systems, chemical reactions, and social systems.

5. How is equilibrium achieved in a system?

Equilibrium is achieved in a system when all forces acting on the system are balanced, meaning there is no acceleration or change in motion. This can occur through various mechanisms such as equal and opposite forces, counterbalancing forces, or conservation of energy.