Equilibrium Question on Bridge

In summary, Sir Lancelot's enemies have sabotaged the drawbridge at Camelot, causing the cable holding it up to partially break under a tension of 5.80 \times 10^{3}\;{\rm N}. With a combined mass of 600 kg, Lancelot, his horse, and his equipment will create a force of 7840 N, which is greater than the tension on the cable. This means that the cable will break before Lancelot reaches the end of the drawbridge. The center of gravity of the horse and rider will be 2 meters from the castle end of the bridge when the cable breaks. The tension is directed vertically and is not affected by any angle.
erik-the-red
Question

Sir Lancelot rides slowly out of the castle at Camelot and onto the 12.0-m-long drawbridge that passes over the moat. Unbeknownst to him, his enemies have partially severed the vertical cable holding up the front end of the bridge so that it will break under a tension of [tex]5.80 \times 10^{3}\;{\rm N}.[/tex] The bridge has mass 200 kg and its center of gravity is at its center. Lancelot, his lance, his armor, and his horse together have a combined mass of 600 kg.

1. Will the cable break before Lancelot reaches the end of the drawbridge?

Yes. 600 + 200 = 800 (kg). 800 * 9.80 = 7840 N > 5800 N.

2. How far from the castle end of the bridge will the center of gravity of the horse plus rider be when the cable breaks?

I'm thinking [tex]\sum \tau = (600)(x) - (200)(6.00) = 0[/tex].

x=2 m.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
At what angle is the Tension directed? Is there a picture you can post?

Sure. I don't think there should be an angle involved; I may be wrong.

Attachments

• Figure.jpg
    Figure.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 832
My answer was wrong because I did not figure in the tension and I did consider units.

[tex]\sum \tau = (600)(9.80)(x) + (200)(9.80)(6) = (5.38*10^3)(12)[/tex]
[tex]x=9.84[/tex] m.

The picture is not clear for me, i only see the reaction force by the articulation support and the weight of the bridge and of the knight.

Related to Equilibrium Question on Bridge

What is the purpose of an equilibrium question on a bridge?

The purpose of an equilibrium question on a bridge is to determine whether the forces acting on the bridge are balanced or not. This is important for ensuring that the bridge is stable and can safely support the weight and load placed on it.

What factors affect the equilibrium of a bridge?

The equilibrium of a bridge can be affected by various factors such as the weight and distribution of the load, the shape and design of the bridge, and external forces such as wind and earthquakes. Changes in any of these factors can disrupt the equilibrium and potentially cause the bridge to fail.

How is the equilibrium of a bridge calculated?

The equilibrium of a bridge is calculated by analyzing the forces acting on the bridge using Newton's laws of motion. This involves determining the sum of all the forces in different directions and ensuring that they are balanced. Any imbalance in the forces can indicate a potential problem with the equilibrium of the bridge.

What happens if a bridge is not in equilibrium?

If a bridge is not in equilibrium, it can lead to structural failure and collapse. This is because the forces acting on the bridge are not balanced, which can cause excessive stress and strain on certain parts of the bridge. It is important to regularly check and maintain the equilibrium of a bridge to ensure its safety and stability.

How can the equilibrium of a bridge be maintained?

The equilibrium of a bridge can be maintained by regularly inspecting and monitoring its condition, making necessary repairs and adjustments, and following proper design and construction principles. Additionally, considering potential external factors such as wind and earthquakes during the design phase can help ensure the equilibrium of the bridge is maintained under various conditions.