Equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces

In summary, to determine the tension in the tie rope and the components of the force on the foot of the ladder, we need to use the sum of torques equation and draw a force diagram. The tension in the rope will have both perpendicular and parallel components, with the perpendicular component keeping the ladder from rotating.
pepi78

Homework Statement

The foot of a ladder rests against a wall,and its top is held by a horizontal tie rope. The ladder weighs 100 N and its center of gravity is 0.4 of its length from the foot. A 150 N child hangs from a rung that is 0.2 of the length from the top. Determine the tension in the tie rope and the components of the force on the foot of the ladder. The angle between the wall and the ladder is 37°

Homework Equations

Sum of torques = 0
Sum of forces = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum of torques = (60.2N)(0.4L) + (90.3N)(0.8L) + (x)(L)
x= -96.32 N
The tension of the rope only has an x component so I don't think this calculation helps. I'm comfortable doing calculations when the beam is horizontal but I can't figure this one out.

Physics news on Phys.org
pepi78 said:

Homework Statement

The foot of a ladder rests against a wall,and its top is held by a horizontal tie rope. The ladder weighs 100 N and its center of gravity is 0.4 of its length from the foot. A 150 N child hangs from a rung that is 0.2 of the length from the top. Determine the tension in the tie rope and the components of the force on the foot of the ladder. The angle between the wall and the ladder is 37°

Homework Equations

Sum of torques = 0
Sum of forces = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum of torques = (60.2N)(0.4L) + (90.3N)(0.8L) + (x)(L)
x= -96.32 N
The tension of the rope only has an x component so I don't think this calculation helps. I'm comfortable doing calculations when the beam is horizontal but I can't figure this one out.

You've used the wrong trig function to determine the portion of the weights acting perpendicularly to the ladder. Draw a diagram.

The tension in the rope is going to have components that run along the ladder and perpendicular to the ladder. The component that's perpendicular to the ladder is what is keeping the ladder from rotation about the foot pivot point.

Thanks for the reply. I did draw a diagram. Is the perpendicular force at the end of the beam the hypotenuse of the tension force?

Last edited:
pepi78 said:
Thanks for the reply. I did draw a diagram. Is the perpendicular force at the end of the beam the hypotenuse of the tension force?

attachment.php?attachmentid=45996&stc=1&d=1333887911.gif

The vector representing the tension in the rope will be the hypotenuse of the force triangle. Components will be perpendicular to and along the ladder.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2 KB · Views: 1,274
Thank you. I understand now. I really appreciate the help.

Related to Equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces

1. What is equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces?

Equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces refers to a state in which the body is at rest or moving at a constant velocity with no net force or torque acting on it. This means that the forces acting on the body are balanced and there is no rotational motion.

2. How is equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces determined?

Equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces can be determined using the principles of statics, which involve analyzing the forces and torques acting on the body and applying Newton's Laws of motion. The equations of equilibrium, including the sum of forces and the sum of torques, can be used to determine if the body is in equilibrium.

3. What are coplanar forces?

Coplanar forces are forces that lie in the same plane and do not have any components in a direction perpendicular to that plane. In other words, the forces are parallel to each other and do not cause any rotational motion of the body.

4. What is the difference between static equilibrium and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which the body is at rest or moving at a constant velocity with no net force or torque acting on it. This means that the forces acting on the body are balanced and there is no rotational motion. Dynamic equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to a state in which the body is moving at a constant velocity with no net force acting on it, but there may be a net torque causing rotational motion.

5. How is the center of gravity related to equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces?

The center of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of a body can be considered to act. In equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces, the center of gravity must be directly below the point of support in order for the body to remain in static equilibrium. This means that the forces acting on the body are balanced and there is no rotational motion.