Equilibrium of a Particle: Determining Forces in Cables and F for a 4-kg Lamp

In summary, the problem asks you to determine the force needed to hold a 4 kg lamp in the position shown. First, you need to analyze the equilibrium at B, and then use the result for the force in BC to analyze the equilibrium at C.
hdp12

Homework Statement

I am stuck on this problem for my mechanics class. Please help me.
Determine the force in each cable and the force F needed to hold the 4-kg lamp in the position shown. Hint: First analyze the equilibrium at B; then, using the result for the force in BC, analyze the equilibrium at C.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/kt-gKr9Ea2WBCZo1vfabhXjaFp6AXyXtYDveGu_WTEl8F9WJJz8O3Ls-ubIJQX4pC8frkQ=w1210-h506

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/y0vOSzZ-_r7CDcQXvHqkG2BNlAdXrz7cw9PHh3iX1r_uTPHBnYcMMbqTYYlBC6b2lCNA6k0bOfLIgDx_r65ZUiGqc6U=w1210-h506
Please guide me to the correct course of action.
Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Is angle θ1 (in the picture) unknown?

Tidy is not a bad thing. Often if you will just tidy things up you can see your own errors.

Renaming everything is often quite confusing for everybody. Your diagram calls the angles theta 1, theta 2, theta 3. And you have renamed them, but I can't quite figure out what you renamed theta 1 as. And you seem to have called all the forces F with a bewildering array of subscripts, which don't seem to have made it to the diagram. What is Fyy? Or is that Fgy? What is ABy and why is it equal to Fyy? I can sort of guess, but I should not have to.

Where did the value 34.64 come from? Because it looks like you calculate 40N just a couple lines later for the weight of the lamp.

You didn't state the values of the angles in your problem statement, and suddenly you have values for them in your solution.

What does "if ignoring C" mean?

That's enough for now. Tidy it and see if you can' figure out how to follow the hints in the original problem.

Is this correct? I tried to simplify my variables and I believe I got the answer.
3-17.jpg

Related to Equilibrium of a Particle: Determining Forces in Cables and F for a 4-kg Lamp

1. What is the concept of equilibrium of a particle?

The concept of equilibrium of a particle is a fundamental principle in mechanics that states that a particle will remain at rest or in constant motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the net force and net torque acting on the particle must be equal to zero for it to be in equilibrium.

2. How is equilibrium of a particle different from equilibrium of a system?

Equilibrium of a particle refers to the balance of forces and torques acting on a single point or particle, while equilibrium of a system refers to the balance of forces and torques acting on multiple particles in a system. In other words, equilibrium of a system takes into account the interactions between particles, while equilibrium of a particle focuses on a single particle.

3. What are the conditions for static equilibrium of a particle?

For a particle to be in static equilibrium, there are two conditions that must be met: the sum of all forces acting on the particle must be equal to zero, and the sum of all torques acting on the particle must also be equal to zero. This means that the particle is not moving and is also not rotating.

4. How is the equilibrium of a particle determined mathematically?

To determine the equilibrium of a particle, we use the equations of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces in the x-direction, y-direction, and z-direction must be equal to zero, as well as the sum of all torques about a chosen point must also be equal to zero. These equations can be solved simultaneously to find the unknown forces and torques acting on the particle.

5. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium of a particle?

Examples of equilibrium of a particle can be seen in objects at rest, such as a book sitting on a table, a pencil balanced on its tip, or a person standing still. Additionally, the concept of equilibrium of a particle is also important in structures such as bridges and buildings, where the forces and torques acting on each individual component must be in equilibrium to ensure stability and prevent collapse.