Equilibrium in system of non-linear difference equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding equilibrium solutions to a system of difference equations and how to calculate them when n approaches infinity. The process involves writing the equations in terms of a function on $\mathbb{R}^3$ and finding fixed points of the function. The real problem involves a system of four difference equations and finding stationary solutions corresponds to finding fixed points of the function representing the system. This topic is typically covered in courses and books on discrete-time dynamical systems.
math4everyone
I have a little question. I want to know if there is a process in which I can find equilibrium solutions to some system of difference equations. For example, if I have something crazy like
$$\begin{cases} x[n+1]=(x[n])^2y[n]+z[n]e^{-ax[n]} \\
y[n+1]= z[n]x[n]+x[n+1]y[n+1]\\
z[n+1]= \frac{x[n]}{1+x[n]}
\end{cases}$$
I would like to know how to calculate equilibrium points when $$n \rightarrow \infty$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the equation for ##x_{n+1}## first write ##y_{n+1}## as a function of ##(x_n,y_n,z_n)##. (So, eliminate ##x_{n+1}##). After this, the right-hand side of your system defines a function ##f## on ##\mathbb{R}^3##, as
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
x_{n+1}\\
y_{n+1}\\
z_{n+1}
\end{bmatrix}
= f(x_n,y_n,z_n).
$$
Your equilibrium points are the fixed points of ##f##.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Krylov said:
Using the equation for ##x_{n+1}## first write ##y_{n+1}## as a function of ##(x_n,y_n,z_n)##. (So, eliminate ##x_{n+1}##). After this, the right-hand side of your system defines a function ##f## on ##\mathbb{R}^3##, as
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
x_{n+1}\\
y_{n+1}\\
z_{n+1}
\end{bmatrix}
= f(x_n,y_n,z_n).
$$
Your equilibrium points are the fixed points of ##f##.
Thanks for the reply, but this was just an example. I apologize for not stating the real problem.The real system of difference equations I have is the following
$$
\begin{cases}
X_j [n+1] = (1-m_j - \theta - \delta N[n])X_j[n]+\alpha X_a[n] e^{-\beta X_a [n]} \\
X_a[n+1]=(1-m_a-H[n]-\delta N[n])X_a[n] + \theta X_j[n]\\
N[n+1] = \frac{\gamma K X_a [n]}{K+\gamma X_a[n]} \\
H[n+1] = q \left( \frac{a(P_f q X_a [n]-C_f - \pi \omega_\tau)}{1+b(P_f q X_a [n]-C_f - \pi \omega_\tau)}+E_{min} \right)
\end{cases}
$$
I am really new to this topic, so I don't fully understand what I have to do.

It's the same principle: This system corresponds to a mapping ##f## on (a domain in) ##\mathbb{R}^4## that takes as inputs the state ##(X_j[n], X_a[n], N[n], H[n])## at the (discrete) time ##n \in \mathbb{Z}_+## and produces the state
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
X_j[n+1]\\
X_a[n+1]\\
N[n+1]\\
H[n+1]
\end{bmatrix}
= f(X_j[n], X_a[n], N[n], H[n])
$$
at time ##n + 1##. A stationary solution of the difference equations then corresponds to a state that does not change in time. Such a state is precisely a fixed point of ##f##. I did not calculate the fixed points myself, that is up to you. Sometimes they can be found analytically, but sometimes you need to resort to numerical root finders such as Newton's (and Newton-like) method(s).

This and related topics (such as stability determination of the stationary solutions) are typically treated in courses and books on discrete-time dynamical systems ("iterated maps").

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara

Related to Equilibrium in system of non-linear difference equations

1. What is equilibrium in a system of non-linear difference equations?

Equilibrium in a system of non-linear difference equations refers to a state where the values of all variables in the system remain constant over time. This means that the system has reached a stable point where there are no changes in the values of the variables.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a system of non-linear difference equations?

Equilibrium is achieved in a system of non-linear difference equations when the values of all variables satisfy the equations in the system. This means that there is no net change in the values of the variables over time, and they remain constant at equilibrium.

3. What are the factors that affect equilibrium in a system of non-linear difference equations?

There are several factors that can affect equilibrium in a system of non-linear difference equations. These include initial conditions, parameter values, and the number and nature of the equations in the system. Changes in any of these factors can lead to a shift in equilibrium.

4. How is stability determined in a system of non-linear difference equations?

The stability of equilibrium in a system of non-linear difference equations is determined by the behavior of the variables around the equilibrium point. If the values of the variables remain close to the equilibrium point over time, the system is considered stable. However, if the values diverge from the equilibrium point, the system is considered unstable.

5. Can non-linear difference equations have multiple equilibria?

Yes, non-linear difference equations can have multiple equilibria. This means that there can be more than one set of values for the variables that satisfy the equations and result in equilibrium. In such cases, the stability of each equilibrium point must be analyzed separately to determine the behavior of the system.