Equilibrium Help: Solving Free Body Diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving equilibrium and a block on a rough table attached to an elastic string at a 45 degree angle. The problem involves visualizing the forces and constructing a free body diagram. The solution involves breaking down the force of the string into vertical and horizontal components.
elle
Equilibrium help please!

Hi, I'm having problems with one of my homework assignments on equilibrium. I'm fine with all the calculations once I draw up a free body diagram but I'm not particulary good at visualizing the problem etc. :confused: Can anyone help me out with the diagram?

The question is:

A block of mass m is lying on a rough table, the coefficient of friction being µ. One end of an elastic string of modulus λ and natural length l is attached to the block. The other end of the string is pulled in a direction away from the block so that the string is at an angle of 45° to the horizontal.

Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sigh. The preformatted text tag doesn't work. I think I knew that.

The string is pulling the block both to the side and upwards at a 45 degree angle. This will give you not only a force tending to make the block slide but one pulling it upward from the table, reducing the normal force exerted on the block by the table (and, via N3, vice versa, of course).

Does that help?

hmm I know what you are getting at...but I'm still unsure of how to present the diagram :frown:

What would it look like if it was just a normal sketch of a block with the string? I seem to find it easier to construct the free body diagrams with an initial diagram without the complicated forces.

Well, the only difference is that 45 degree angle. If it weren't for that, you'd have the force of the string one way, the force of friction the other, the normal force up and weight down.
As the problem stands, you still have those forces except that the force of the string needs to be broken into components, one vertical and one horizontal.

I get it nowz, thanks for your help! :D

Last edited:

Related to Equilibrium Help: Solving Free Body Diagrams

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the forces that are acting on the object and their direction, helping to determine the net force and ultimately the equilibrium of the object.

2. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you will need to identify all the forces acting on the object and their direction. Then, draw a simple diagram of the object and label each force with an arrow pointing in the appropriate direction. Make sure to include the magnitude of each force if it is known.

3. What is the purpose of solving free body diagrams?

The purpose of solving free body diagrams is to determine the equilibrium of an object. In other words, it helps to determine whether the object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity. This is important in understanding the forces that are acting on the object and how they are balanced.

4. What are the key principles of equilibrium?

The key principles of equilibrium are that the net force and the net torque acting on an object must both be equal to zero. This means that the forces acting on the object are balanced, and the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving free body diagrams?

Some common mistakes when solving free body diagrams include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object, drawing the forces in the wrong direction, and not properly labeling the forces. It is also important to make sure that all the forces are accurately represented in magnitude and direction.