Equilibrium for a rotation lab

In summary, equilibrium for a rotation lab refers to balancing rotational forces on an object to achieve no net rotational motion. It differs from equilibrium for a linear lab, which involves balancing linear forces. Equilibrium is important in a rotation lab as it allows for accurate measurement and analysis of rotational motion. It can be achieved by balancing clockwise and counterclockwise torques. Real-world applications of equilibrium in a rotation lab include engineering, physics, and biology, where it can be used to understand the stability of structures, analyze object movement, and study biomechanics.
Yoli123
Homework Statement
For each meter stick on fulcrum with attached masses (equilibrium/no equilibrium) find torque and rotation
Relevant Equations
equilibrium for rotation
So for the first one on the left is it T= 2g*20=40Nm ? Our professor said it is clockwise I just don't understand how she gets that conclusion.

Attachments

• Attisha, Yolanda-Equilibrium for Rotation Remote Lab.docx
    537.7 KB · Views: 184
Physics news on Phys.org
Yoli123 said:
Homework Statement:: For each meter stick on fulcrum with attached masses (equilibrium/no equilibrium) find torque and rotation
Relevant Equations:: equilibrium for rotation

So for the first one on the left is it T= 2g*20=40Nm ? Our professor said it is clockwise I just don't understand how she gets that conclusion.
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Can you please post a PDF version of the document? It's can be dangerous to open a Word document. You can use PrimoPDF or any other free PDF writer. Thanks.

And what does this mean? "T= 2g*20=40Nm"

g is not a force, and you had a lever arm of 20 meters?

Last edited:
Yoli123 said:
I couldn't find in the attachment where the units of mass are stated. I assume they are kg. So you have a 2kg mass attached at 20cm from the fulcrum. g is given as 9.8m/s2. Paying careful attention to units, what does that give for the torque?
The mass is attached to the right of the fulcrum, so that side should go down. Seems like clockwise to me.

Related to Equilibrium for a rotation lab

1. What is equilibrium in a rotation lab?

Equilibrium in a rotation lab refers to a state where an object is not rotating or accelerating. This means that the net torque acting on the object is zero, and the object is either at rest or moving at a constant angular velocity.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a rotation lab?

Equilibrium is achieved in a rotation lab by balancing the forces acting on an object. This can be done by adjusting the position of weights or changing the angle of the object. The goal is to create a state where the net torque is zero.

3. What is the purpose of studying equilibrium in a rotation lab?

The purpose of studying equilibrium in a rotation lab is to understand the principles of rotational motion and how forces and torques act on objects. This knowledge is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.

4. How do you calculate the net torque in a rotation lab?

The net torque in a rotation lab can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point. This can be represented by the equation Στ = F x d, where Στ is the net torque, F is the force, and d is the distance from the pivot point.

5. What are some real-life applications of equilibrium in a rotation lab?

Equilibrium in a rotation lab has many real-life applications, such as designing stable structures, analyzing the forces acting on a rotating object, and understanding the balance of forces in machines and vehicles. It is also important in sports, such as gymnastics and figure skating, where maintaining balance and control is crucial.