Equilibrium Distance Between Carts with Spring and Chain

In summary, the problem involves finding the equation for the equilibrium distance between two carts connected by an elastic spring and a chain of length l and linear density p. The carts can slide along a horizontal rail without friction. The chain hangs in a vertical plane and the spring is also going along the rail. To solve this, the equations for equilibrium in the x and y directions are used and a catenary function is used to model the chain. The value of A in the catenary function can be determined by considering the size of the catenary.
CornMuffin

Homework Statement

Two carts can slide along a horizontal rail without friction. The carts are connected:
(a) by an elastic spring of spring constant k and unstretched length l;
(b) by a chain of length l and linear density p.
The spring is going along the rail, the chain hangs in the vertical plane.
[PLAIN]http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3803/project1f.jpg
Find the equation for the equilibrium distance, d, between the carts.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the y direction:
F=0
lpg=2TsinA where A is the angle the chain makes with the spring
T=lpg/(2sinA)

In the x direction:
F=0
k(l-d)=lpg/(2tanA)
d=l-lpg/(2ktanA)

If I can find an equation that models the chain, then I can find the angle, but I am having trouble with the equation.
A catenary can be used to model it, which I believe is in the form (but I can be wrong):
f(x)=acosh(x/a), but I don't know how to find a value for of a

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're right about the catenary,
[tex]f(x) = A \cosh\frac{x}{A}[/tex]
Think about this: what do you know about the size of the catenary that might help you determine [itex]A[/itex]?

Related to Equilibrium Distance Between Carts with Spring and Chain

What is the equilibrium distance between carts with spring and chain?

The equilibrium distance between carts with spring and chain refers to the distance at which the force exerted by the spring on the carts is balanced, resulting in no net force and a stable position.

How is the equilibrium distance calculated?

The equilibrium distance is calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

What factors affect the equilibrium distance between carts with spring and chain?

The equilibrium distance can be affected by several factors, including the spring constant, the mass of the carts, and the initial displacement of the carts from their equilibrium position. Changes in any of these factors can alter the equilibrium distance.

How does the equilibrium distance change with different spring constants?

The equilibrium distance is directly proportional to the spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the equilibrium distance also increases. Similarly, as the spring constant decreases, the equilibrium distance decreases.

Can the equilibrium distance be measured experimentally?

Yes, the equilibrium distance can be measured experimentally by setting up a system with the carts, spring, and chain and measuring the distance at which the carts come to rest. This can be repeated with different spring constants to observe the changes in the equilibrium distance.