Equilibrium and tension in elastic strings

The person asking the question is unsure about how to approach the problem and has a few specific questions about the forces and distances involved. However, they were able to get help from a friend and no longer need assistance. In summary, the problem involves determining tension for equilibrium, and the person asking the question received help from a friend and no longer needs assistance.
abdo799

Homework Statement

problem attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well, there is pretty much nothing i can write here, i couldn't solve it because this is the first time i face a problem like that , i have some problems understanding it though
1-if we considered the tension a force that make a moment , (eg tension in PC ) where will be that force so i can take a distance will it be at P or C ?
2- in other problems of equilibrium , when i take the distance , i take the distance to pivot ( in this one A ) but in this one , in the marking scheme , he took the distance to AB , and not the point A , why?
3- he took the force of tension in the horizontal string to have a moment and when he mentioned the distance , it was the distance to the point A and not the vertical AB why?

Attachments

• 2014-04-02 22_15_09-papers.xtremepapers.com_CIE_Cambridge International A and AS Level_Mathemati.png
    2014-04-02 22_15_09-papers.xtremepapers.com_CIE_Cambridge International A and AS Level_Mathemati.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind.. a friend saw the question and answered me
Thanks

Related to Equilibrium and tension in elastic strings

1. What is equilibrium in elastic strings?

Equilibrium in elastic strings refers to the state in which the forces acting on the string are balanced and there is no net force acting on it. This means that the string is not accelerating and remains in a constant position.

2. How is tension related to equilibrium in elastic strings?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an elastic string when it is stretched or compressed. In order for the string to be in equilibrium, the tension must be equal on both ends of the string. This ensures that there is no net force acting on the string, allowing it to remain in a stable position.

3. What factors affect the tension in an elastic string?

The tension in an elastic string is affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the string, the amount of force applied to the string, and the length of the string. These factors determine the elasticity of the string and how much it can stretch or compress under a given force.

4. How does Hooke's Law apply to equilibrium in elastic strings?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to an elastic material is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression it experiences. In equilibrium, the forces on an elastic string are balanced, which means that the force applied to the string is equal to the force pulling or pushing on it. This can be expressed as F=kx, where F is the force, k is the string's spring constant, and x is the amount of stretch or compression.

5. How can the equilibrium and tension of an elastic string be calculated?

The equilibrium and tension of an elastic string can be calculated using the principles of equilibrium and Hooke's Law. By setting the sum of the forces on the string equal to zero and solving for the tension, the equilibrium position and tension can be determined. Additionally, the spring constant of the string can be measured experimentally to calculate the tension at a given force or displacement.