Equilibrium and Moment of Inertia Question

In summary: I tried Iend for two,so how about this?(2/3)*(5+2)*0.5*0.5Thanks!In summary, the conversation discusses the equations and considerations needed to solve a physics problem involving a ladder leaning against a wall. The forces involved include the weight of the ladder, the normal force from the wall and floor, and tension. The direction and magnitude of these forces are important in finding the torque acting on the ladder. The conversation also mentions using the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia of a point mass about an axis.
TBBTs

Homework Statement

See attachment or here http://i.imgur.com/zBDa0.png

zBDa0.png

Homework Equations

Torque = FR

Moment of Inertia of Rod at End = I = 1/3 ML ^2

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i.imgur.com/3Avqh.png

3Avqh.png

Attachments

• Equlibrium and Moment of Inertia.PNG
    Equlibrium and Moment of Inertia.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 639
Physics news on Phys.org
For question A:
- Since the wall is frictionless, the force it exerts must be normal to the wall.
- Don't forget the normal force from the floor, when drawing your FBD.

For question B:
- Where's the center of mass?

Doc Al said:
For question A:
- Since the wall is frictionless, the force it exerts must be normal to the wall.
- Don't forget the normal force from the floor, when drawing your FBD.

For question B:
- Where's the center of mass?

Hi!
Thank you for replies.

A) So there are four forces?
Mg,Normal force from the wall and floor and Tension, but what about the direction?

B) Do I use Parallel Axis Theorm for this quesion?
Thanks!

TBBTs said:
Hi!
Thank you for replies.
Welcome to PF! :smile:

A) So there are four forces?
Mg,Normal force from the wall and floor and Tension,
Right.
but what about the direction?
What about it? Tell me the direction of each force.

B) Do I use Parallel Axis Theorm for this quesion?
If you like. (Not really needed.) But what's the moment of inertia of a point mass about an axis?

Doc Al said:
Welcome to PF! :smile:

Right.

What about it? Tell me the direction of each force.

If you like. (Not really needed.) But what's the moment of inertia of a point mass about an axis?

Hi!
For first part of my question, I use
1) sin30* N + Fh(Force of hinge) = Mg Fy
2) Fx: T=Ncos30
3) Torque: T*Lsin60 + Mg*Lcos(60) - NL =0

Are these equations right? I am so confused about how to determine the r of the torque (The torque formula is FR but how suppose I determine R?)

I am also confused about the direction of Torque,I know it supposed to use right hand rule and curl up my fingers to the direction its rotating,but since it is in equlibrium now,how suppose I know the way it is rotating?

Thanks!

Hi!
I tried Iend for two,so how about this?
(2/3)*(5+2)*0.5*0.5

Thanks!

TBBTs said:
For first part of my question, I use
1) sin30* N + Fh(Force of hinge) = Mg Fy
Please define N and Fh. (What hinge?)

Your diagram needs to be corrected. You have the normal force from the wall acting at some angle. It should be straight out from the wall, at 90 degrees.
2) Fx: T=Ncos30
Same problem.
3) Torque: T*Lsin60 + Mg*Lcos(60) - NL =0

Are these equations right? I am so confused about how to determine the r of the torque (The torque formula is FR but how suppose I determine R?)
When finding torque, R is the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the pivot point.

I am also confused about the direction of Torque,I know it supposed to use right hand rule and curl up my fingers to the direction its rotating,but since it is in equlibrium now,how suppose I know the way it is rotating?
You can just make counterclockwise torques positive and clockwise torques negative. (The right hand rule is useful for problems in three dimensions. Here you don't really need it.)

Start by fixing that diagram and showing all forces acting on the ladder. (I count four forces.)

Related to Equilibrium and Moment of Inertia Question

1. What is equilibrium and moment of inertia?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no acceleration or movement. Moment of inertia, on the other hand, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.

2. How is equilibrium achieved?

Equilibrium is achieved when the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to zero. This can be represented by the equation ΣF = 0, where ΣF is the sum of all forces and 0 represents the balanced state.

3. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by considering both the mass and distribution of mass of an object. It can be calculated by the formula I = Σm*r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, Σm is the sum of all the mass elements, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. What factors affect moment of inertia?

The main factors that affect moment of inertia are the mass and distribution of mass of an object. Objects with a higher mass or with more mass concentrated further from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia.

5. How is the concept of equilibrium and moment of inertia applied in real life?

Equilibrium and moment of inertia are important concepts in many areas of science and engineering. They are used in the design and analysis of structures, such as bridges and buildings, as well as in the study of rotating objects, such as wheels and gyroscopes.