Equilateral Triangle Side Lengths

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the measure of the sides of an equilateral triangle can be represented by x + 12, 3x - 8, and 2x + 2. Since the sides are equal, A=B=C, we can set two of the expressions equal to each other to solve for the value of x.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Th measure of the sides of an equilateral triangle are represented by x + 12, 3x - 8, and 2x + 2. What is the measure of each side of the triangle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know that each side of this triangle are equal, resulting in only one x-value. I first thought of solving them as a system of equations, but then I realized that these are just expressions--they are equal to nothing. How do I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If A, B and C are the lengths of the side of an equilateral triangle then A=B=C.

Putting two sides equal to each other should give you the desired result.

Blimey, thank you so very much for you time and insight.

Related to Equilateral Triangle Side Lengths

1. What is an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle is a type of triangle where all three sides are equal in length and all three angles are equal to 60 degrees.

2. How do you find the perimeter of an equilateral triangle?

The perimeter of an equilateral triangle can be found by multiplying the length of one side by 3 (since all three sides are equal) or by adding the length of each side together.

3. What is the formula for finding the area of an equilateral triangle?

The formula for finding the area of an equilateral triangle is A = (s^2 * √3) / 4, where A is the area and s is the length of one side.

4. Can an equilateral triangle also be an isosceles triangle?

Yes, an equilateral triangle can also be classified as an isosceles triangle since it has two equal sides.

5. How does equilateral geometry apply to real-world situations?

Equilateral geometry is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and design to create symmetrical and stable structures. It also plays a role in computer graphics and animation to create visually appealing shapes and patterns.